What To Do?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Cecil,the Nova looks like a fine project,but why do you post small photos :dunno .
you post photos image size 210x158 and size 7.93 kbs and were allowed image size 800x650 and 100 kbs. :dunno.I'm sorry if I offended you with this question.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, Cecil and I need to drop over to your house for a lesson in simple computer video posts. On second thought, lets drop by Cecils house, much warmer.............:roll

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim,
I resized it down to just under 100kb's and I don't know why it ends up so small. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing but there's nothing new about that. I built my last three computers but still don't know how to use them.:dunno :roll

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
A Dog!

Cecil: If the seller thinks its such a dog, he should knock a couple hundred dollars more, off your price.:clap Yeah, I know Dream On.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm trying to stay on his good side. While I was looking at the car he asked me if I knew anything about 409 engines. I said I knew a little. He took me inside his storage building and after unloading a lot of parts from on top of it there was a L-22-62 QB 068 block. He said he didn't know anything about them but wanted to know what it was worth. He specializes in old NOS parts and is pretty knowledgeable about old car parts but didn't seem to have a lot of specific knowledge about chevy engines. I fugured I was being tested to see if I would low-ball him, I told him I thought he wouldn't have any problem getting at least $1000 depending on the condition of the block. I mentioned this group and offered to post the info if he wanted to sell it but he wasn't ready to commit and said he would probably get it cleaned up and checked before trying to sell it. I plan to follow up.
Interestingly enough he bought it on the same day and from the same guy I bought my 61 block from. I must have missed it when I was going through all the stuff.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You know your avatar with the Cushman motorscooter is really great. If you think that 409 parts are out of this world price wise, try restoring a Cushman motorscooter.:eek: Roy

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Roy,
I have restored a Cushman. The one in the pic was a 51 eagle I picked up as a rolling basket case at the Pomona swap meet about 15 years ago. I completely restored it and have several more projects waiting for me to get to them. Most parts are available thanks to Dennis Carpenter restoration parts and the National Cushman Club. It can get pricey but nothing compared to the 409s.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I finally got the 61 Impala today. Other than needing a new windshield, paint, interior and engine trans, it is just about ready to drive.
:roll
At least there is minimal body work to do... just a small rust area over the left rear wheel well and at the rear bottom of the left front fender.
Now I have to decide if I want to drop in the 63 409 or build one of my 348s with tripower. Any suggestions?
Either way I will probably cut the new floor to install the T-10. It should make a nice car even if its not a bubble. Original turquoise car body #74 from Van Nuys.
:D :cool: :deal

Attachments

• 61impsed1.jpg
    61impsed1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 61impsed2.jpg
    61impsed2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 61impsedan3.jpg
    61impsedan3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 61impsedan4.jpg
    61impsedan4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 37

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, You've got a real winner there. Doesnt matter which combination you choose, it's gonna be a great car. Can't believe it survived with the Impala steering wheel still on it. Now the work begins.......... :beerbang

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice purchase!

Cecil:

You scored bigtime! Not too difficult to get that one together over the course of the Winter months :). Now you have something to focus on during the coming months.

Which engine to install? Since you've got the 409 on the stand, that vehicle might be the logical choice as recipient. At least for starters! You can always do a transplant later. I also think a '61 looks great with tripower, so either that top end on the 409 bottom end, or resurrect one of those 348s and use it as the reciprocating base. You are lucky to have so many choices, and now a car to slip them into :) :) :).

Keep us posted as you progress, let me know if you need any 61 parts. Got a few pieces laying around I have doubles of. Of course everything I seem to own is in horrendous shape :).

Cheers!

TomK

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I like it! Have you seen any numbers as to how many Impala sedans were
built in '61? Got to be pretty rare!
I have had more than a few "car guys" see pictures of my '61 Biscayne
"Flat Top" and ask "What is it?" and I just say, "It's Cool"!
It's pretty surprising how few of these sedans are still around.