What's a Market Price on a 65 409 Truck Engine

Justin

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and will be starting a 62 409 Impala project in the next 12 months. In the meantime, I'm wanting to sell an extra 409 that came with the project I bought.

It is a complete 65 409 truck engine EXCEPT for the crankshaft. It came from an old logging truck and was parked after the crank broke. The broken crank did cause some damage to the bottom of two cylinder walls but the machine shop inspected it and didn't think it would be a problem.

I'm prepping it for Ebay and wanted to get your opinion on what a reasonable price might be? Thanks!

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That's a tough call. You had it crack checked? Or just looked at? If it's been crack checked and everything seems ok I would guess at least $500 or more. The oil pan is worth something and the heads are worth a little bit. The block would be a gamble and with these engines costing so much to build it would be hard to take a chance on one that had a major problem at one time. I think someone out there would take a chance on it and that's why I guess $500 or more. Throw it on eBay and if it don't sell your only out a few bucks. Then you will have your answer. Be sure to post the eBay link so we can watch it too.:D:brow

Justin

Thanks Wally. The block and heads were checked for cracks. Both had no cracks and the block still standard bore.

The oil pan is still functional but is severely dented and in no way suitable for a show car. I'll put it on with a starting bid of $1,000 and see what happens. Thanks!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Justin! !!! You'll love it here.
Just noticed you live in O'Fallon. I"m in St. Paul at my daughters for the weekend. Do you know Dennis Sutton?
One more thing. .....who are the guys and the meaning of the picture in your avatar?

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Why not put a reserve on it and start the bidding at 99 cents? At least then if it don't make your reserve you will learn something. (like how much other people think your engine is worth) If it doesn't meet your reserve your not out anything. Say if your listing goes to $700 and doesn't sell. You could always relist it or throw it on Craigslist for $100 more than what the last bid was on eBay. The person who bid $700 might bite if it's only a hundred more than what he bid. One other thing I learned about eBay. When your selling a engine if your not willing to ship it (within the 48 states) then you probably won't get nearly what you want for it. It's easy to throw it on a pallet and build a crate around it. Call a carrier and have them pick it up.

Last edited:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Block and sheetmetal is good at $1500. Everything else is junk. Heads may interest somebody at $100-200.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
[QUOTE="models916, post: 279185, member: 762"lock and sheetmetal is good at $1500. Everything else is junk. Heads may interest somebody at $100-200.[/QUOTE]

I understand the blocks not cracked, but it'll need 2 cylinders sleeved......???? @ 200.00$/cylinder....???????

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A couple of years ago a older retired gentleman gave me a piece of advise. He told me that when he was asked to guess at the value of something to be prepared to buy it on the spot yourself. Kind of a "Put your money where your mouth is" sort of thing. If Justin would of said ok Wally I'll take $500 for it. Then I should have to stand by my guns and hand over the cash or cut him a check. It made me think a lot more about telling someone that there stuff is worth more money if you put yourself in the buyers position. Instead of telling someone what I "THINK" someone else will pay for it. I just tell them what I'm willing to pay for it. Usually there is someone out there that will pay more than me but not always. ;) I am really shocked that no person has bid yet on your engine. There are a few people who think your engine is worth more than your asking. They should consider this engine a bargain and buy it for a spare.:poke :hide

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Value depends on wether you're in buying or selling mode. If someone asks me I would tell them that. A couple years ago I had the chance to buy a running truck engine.. Told the boy "it's not worth anything to me in the truck" (I'm too old to fart around pulling an engine out of a truck these days). Went on to tell him what I thought the retail value was and what I was willing to pay since I was going to resell it. Got it for $800. A board member wanted it and I passed it on for $900. If it had been a stranger I would have started around $1500 but probably would have taken less.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
What scares me about a block with a broken crankshaft is the possibility of the main bearing journals/caps being bent/bashed out of alignment. I broke a crankshaft in my 2 year old GTO in '69. That engine went in the trash. Warranty replacement. The engine change cost me about $6 for new oil and filter. Ahh, the good old days of thrashing your cars.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Value depends on wether you're in buying or selling mode. If someone asks me I would tell them that. A couple years ago I had the chance to buy a running truck engine.. Told the boy "it's not worth anything to me in the truck" (I'm too old to fart around pulling an engine out of a truck these days). Went on to tell him what I thought the retail value was and what I was willing to pay since I was going to resell it. Got it for $800. A board member wanted it and I passed it on for $900. If it had been a stranger I would have started around $1500 but probably would have taken less.

I agree with you 100% and would like to add that geography can make a big difference too.:D

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I gave 300 for a running complete truck 348, and that was taken out and delivered. I probably would have paid 500.