What's the real value of the more-door (4 door) sedans?

belairhopeful

Hey everyone,

I've been floating around the site for a while now and have been the owner of a 62 Belair 4 door with 76k for just about a year. At this point I have it completely torn down to basically do a frame-up resto with LS swap and brake/suspension upgrades (a bit pro touring style).

I've been continually questioning myself on this project, and what I'm getting myself into. If I was starting with an Impala or Belair coupe, and did everything I planned, I'd probably looking at a 15k+ car when done. I'm afraid all of the same work and components will really only get me to 5k for a more door. I know it's all about preference and what you want (and I'm partial to 4 doors), but what's it like for rest of the population? I was hoping this would be my introduction to car restoration, have some fun, drive it around, and then fund the next project but I'm concerned the more door isn't the appropriate route.

So what are your experiences with the 4 doors?

bobs409

Administrator
It's unfortunate but 4 doors just don't get the big bucks.

Now if we're talking 57 Chevy's, then yes those are up there in value. Maybe these cars will one day follow suit but I'm not so sure. :scratch

If your looking to get out of this car what you put in, that's gonna be a tough one.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only way the 4-doors bring any money is in parts. Sad but true. I parted out seven to finace my 61 Bel Air Sport Coupe restoration.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A good running small block, decent paint and that's about all the money I would put into one. Even though you'll find guys that luv 4 doors they're cheaper then the 2 door guys when it's time to buy one. With that said, if you really like it, do what ever turns you on, just don't expect some big return on investment.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Buy the car you like and build that. Just know that if you do ever plan to sell it, its very difficult to get good money for the more doors

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Find some doors from a 2 door, move the lock pillar back and weld in the rest of the rear door skin.....fixed rear quarter windows or try to find inner quarters to make them roll down.

belairhopeful

I recently was reading on a forum where guys were cutting sedans and converting them into 'verts with a donor convertible parts. Really starting to push the envelope on "clones"....used to just be badges and engines haha.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Much of the perceived value in one of these cars is tied to the original production numbers and the number of such cars remaining. Four door sedans were among the most plentiful in the year 1962. Probably more than a half million made, making them pretty common. One distinctive feature might be the drive train (e.g., a 409 four speed posi car). Most buyers will go for a rusted out coupe before they consider a four door. The pillarless four door Sport Coupes might be an exception.

It is really hard to get any dollars and time invested back in a high end restoration of any 1962 Chevy, as it is not hard to get spendy on a project, especially if you farm the work out at or near shop rates. Well bought Convertibles might be the exception.

Do what you want to have fun, but recognize that the end value might be less than what you have into the vehicle.

Good luck!

TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can sell you a '62 Impala 4 dr h/t 409-482 turbo 350. New chassis and interior. $10,000 and drive it home.
Got to pay for my Obamacare.
That is a steal of deal.....:deal Your getting the extra two doors and the rest of the car for free....:scratch and you really have to look at Ronnies car to tell it is a 4-door.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Down here at the bottom of the world we had an issue getting anything with two doors as they were not an original import when they were new. pussy government wanted family cars:crazy. as Tom said perceived value is in the in numbers made/ remaining.
I do all the work on my cars apart from chrome, upholstery (sometimes paint). if i dont take my hours into account i havent ever lost money on a car:hide. there is a large resurgence back to 4 door cars and wagons over here for the fact of being able to take friends along for the ride to enjoy our hobby. Went on a run to TeAnau (bottom of south island of New Zealand) 1000 mile round trip. limited to 150 cars. 675 people on run.
most of the cars were impalas and galaxies with more doors. and more people in them to drink the more liquid in the more than adequate trunks.
A nice tidy 4 door impala still draws eyes and it is practical. Build what suits your habits and wants.
The more you do yourself the less it costs (only time, but who counts that)
JMO Steve

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Many would prefer the 4 door Sport Sedan (or HardTop) over the more common 4 door Sedan. Almost purchased one myself, and I didn't even need it for anything. Having the high perf 409 in it like Ronnie's, and with an automatic to boot, now that's an interesting combination.

I prefer coupes and stick shifts myself, but I have to admit, having a 409 with a Turbo350 auto is pretty easy cruising. I do most of my driving in short bursts around town, and the automatic is easy on the old knees :). Luckily I have one of each. One is a White Impala SS coupe with a four speed, the other a Black 2 door Belair sedan with a 350 auto. Both are 409s with posi rears. Best of both worlds!

TomK

belairhopeful

This was kind of an impulse purchase last year with some prodding from a coworker. Looked like a cool car, but if I had known that the 4 door HT Impala's existed, I would have never bought this car.

You guys have pretty much reiterated what I have been telling myself. I know it's difficult to get your money back out of a car, even if you value your time as "worthless", but you atleast have to start with the right base car to do so. Guess I just need to decide to put my head down and trudge forward or try to part it out and get most of my money out of it.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
We all have our cars for a reason, I would hazard a guess that the large majority of the guys have these cars for what they are over what the resale might be, sure it is considered, but ultimately it is what they are and mean to the owner.
Over the years I have owned 4 door sedans, 59', 61',62' and a 63, all Bel Air's. They were what was available and more importantly what I could afford, each one was good, the 59' I had as a daily driver (235 PG), then moved it on, 61' did a fair amount of work on it 427 MkIV T400, great car and quick, daily driver for 7 years, 62' picked it up cheap drove it as a daily driver for 4 years and moved it on, 63' bought to turn it over.

If you like your 62', that's all that matters. By the way hope your build goes well, ask plenty of questions and learn heaps.

cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ronnie's car is cheap!!!! You can't scratch build what he has under the hood for that!!!! Buy his car............keep Ronnie off the goverment rolls.............keep the engine and trans for your car............drop a small block back in it and sell it for $5-6000 and you'll have the 409 for practically nuttin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ronnie's car is cheap!!!! You can't scratch build what he has under the hood for that!!!! Buy his car............keep Ronnie off the goverment rolls.............keep the engine and trans for your car............drop a small block back in it and sell it for $5-6000 and you'll have the 409 for practically nuttin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

482 stroker motor are expensive to build for sure.:beer:brow

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Its a slow Saturday morning so I will add some more. My apologies for hogging this thread. My car is not listed for sale on e-bay, craigslist, or anywhere for that matter. I would sell it to a member and then be sorry a year later, but that has always been my history. Buy high, sell low. The car is priced so that someone could cut the body off and set a good 2 dr body on. The project started as a rolling engine stand for my engine which is my idea of the perfect 409 street engine. I replaced the front fenders, bumpers with crap I had laying around. Then worked the entire car with filler. Gallons of filler. I doubt a magnet would stick on any body part. A gallon of cheap single stage paint . Then to my shock. the car looked so good, I bit the bullet and spent money on an interior. Then I had to make the car safe so I rebuilt the chassis. New ball joints and bushings up front and new polyurethane bushings in the back. Boxed the rear lower control arms, 4 new Moog springs and added Airlift airbags in the rear coils. All floor pans and the trunk pan are completely rusted through. I patched with some sheet metal, threw down some new padding and carpet. The trunk floor pan is made from a splendid piece of plywood. Fix it? Its not worth much with or without new flooring. But in the old cars defense, it does look pretty nice and is a cheap way to cruise in a 409 car in the summer time. ( heater delete). Original p.s. that drips some but works good. This is not a car to leave your beneficiaries as an asset. It is not a car to be judged at a car show. But man, the feel of that torque under the gas pedal is certainly a rush. $10,000 is a lot of money, especially in this economy, but I believe someone would be getting a good deal. Especially if the owner drove it, as is, and not waste money trying to make it into something it will never be. Again, my apologies for the ramble.