Wheel back spacing

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Was wondering if anyone knows what the back spacing on a factory 63, 14x6 steel wheel. I'd measure mine but they're 125 miles away! Thanks!!
Ross

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ross,
Have a book "Chevrolet Parts Interchange Manual" by Paul A. Herd. In it it shows the following.

Plain wheel 1959-1969
14x6 drum (1/16 inch offset)
part number 3960347
usage 1959-69 full-size Chevrolet, (except disc brakes)
(note has 9 hubcap attching clips)

Not sure if "offset & back spacing" are the same.

Hope this helps

Dave

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Offset is the amount the mounting face (the part that touches the mounting surface on the brake) is "offset from the centerline of the wheel rim. Back space is the distance from the mounting face to the back edge of the wheel rim.

The back space will normally be between 3 and 4 inches. Unfortunately that doesn't answer Ross' original question.

3 5/16"

That's all. Front end will accept 14"-15" wheels, with up to about 3 11/16" back spacing. After that, the edge of the wheel rubs against the tierod end.

On the rear of my BelAir, I have 15"X10" wheels, that have a 5" back spacing. That IS the limit on the rear.

Hope this helps

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Aubrey,
The dimensions you give for the back wheel, is that for a bone stock wheel housing?

It is, Tom. I have a 9" tread width, almost 12.5" section width, 29.3" diameter tire.
With this... I have absolutely no extra clearance ANYWHERE:eek: ... but it DOES fit in the 62 wheel well ( very minor trimming of the front lower lip, to allow for tire growth. If you keep diameter less than 28.5", you'll have no cleartance problem.