Wheel Stud Depth

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I installed longer studs a few years ago. Here is a quote from NHRA rules.

"The thread engagement on all wheel studs to the lug nut, or lug bolts to wheel hubs, must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of the stud/bolt. Length of the stud/bolt does not determine permissibility. (Example: A 7/16-inch stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16-inch.)"

I thought I'd start another thread on this. My lug nuts are 1/2" dia X 1.20 long. When I have my wheel spacer on I end up with the stud .373 in from the outside of the nut. The hex part of the nut measures .629 Measuring the whole nut I have .757 of the stud in the hole which is fine until the "example" which talks about only the hex portion of the nut. I don't want to get off in BFE to a race and have some rule interpreting nazi not let me run because of the stud not being half way through the hex part.IMG_20200630_150946541.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Exactly why most run open lug nuts and have the stud sticking out. That way there's no question. How do you measure thread engagement if the nut is closed on the end:dunnonot easily

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks Dan, that's the first time I've ever heard that.

Looks like James' and Ron's quotes from the book disagree with each other. WTF According to both I'm illegal according to the rules.:dunno

Dave, I don't think they disagree. With 1/2 studs you need 1/2 of threads in the hex part of the nut just as in the diagram that James posted. In other words, you would need at least 1/2 inch of threads sticking out past the washer.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking at James’s post it makes sense now. If the stud didn’t protrude into the hex portion, then the threaded hollow portion of the lug would be what is holding the wheel on and would be subject to failing. I would get longer studs.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The rules suck. This whole open nut is threaded and has .757 of the stud in it. Whatever stud that is past the face of the wheel ain't doin nothin. The smooth part of the nut is inside the wheel and takes the load. I probably didn't explain that well enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_150948166.jpg
    IMG_20200630_150948166.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 5