wheels

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Every night before I start watching baseball, I go on line and look at cars. Lately, I've been focused on '61-'65 Chevys. Tonight, I was looking at '62 Chevys. I don't know what it is, but so many of them, the majority that I saw tonight, have aftermarket wheels or mags of some type. I know it's your car, your money, buy and do as you wish with it, but I think most of them look terrible. So out of place. At least to me. The furthest I would ever go, might be, and that is really doubtful, a set of Cragar SS mags. Why?? Because I couldn't have them as a kid and now I can. Poor excuse I know. I don't think Chevy made the nicest looking hubcap, but maybe a dog dish hubcap with black wall tire, might do it. Or, a full cover hubcap with a bright and clean, correct size, white wall. Anything, but what I've seen tonight. I just think they are a distraction. To each their own. Just not my thing, Carmine.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I like day two period correct wheels like torque thrusts or cragar Ss. I also like the stock wheels and full wheel covers and steel wheels painted body color with correct for the year dog dish caps. I do not care for large diameter wheels with rubber band tires. Just my preferences.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I agree Carmine. It's like putting high back bucket seats in an old car. Looks out of place. I never cared for "modernizing" an antique but I'm old school I guess. :D
Yes, me too. I think rsavage's thread sums it up nicely. I don't like those large diameter wheels with rubber band tires, on an older car. They look so out of place and do absolutely nothing for me. They might look ok on a modern car, maybe a hot rod, resto rod, but not a '62 Chevy. Funny thing, I've seen these tires and wheels on cars, that I'm sure cost more then the car is worth. Those things are expensive. Just my humble opinion, Carmine.

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I like day two period correct wheels like torque thrusts or cragar Ss. I also like the stock wheels and full wheel covers and steel wheels painted body color with correct for the year dog dish caps. I do not care for large diameter wheels with rubber band tires. Just my preferences.
:yup and we can't forget aabout the good ol' Chrome Reverse...:drinking

62BillT

Well Known Member
:yup and we can't forget aabout the good ol' Chrome Reverse...:drinking

Funny you mention Chrome Reverse. That's what I plan on using on my '62 and just 14 X 6 to boot. Second choice would be Cragar SS. Maybe even Cragars in Front and Chrome Reverse on the Rears. May even own a couple of sets and change them around now and then, lol.

I wouldn't use those 20 Inch "stage coach" wheels if someone gave them to me.

I would use 14 X 6 Wheels and original Hub Caps on a car 100% original though.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here is a photo of the 14x6 Keystone Klassic reversed with optional spinners on the front.

View attachment 143096
I like the Keystones. They look good on that car. If that is your car, ur at the drags?? What was ur ET?? Your flags show it's a 409??

I like the looks of the chrome reverse also. Never had any. Too expensive for me back then. I do recall having a used pair of Cragar SS mags given to me. Had them on the front of my '63 Impala vert. I liked them and the look, but for some reason, they prematurely started rusting. I recall using some Brillo pads to clean them. That got to be a pita, so I too them off.
On my '62, I bought new correct size width whitewall tires and it came with spinner hubcaps. I liked the looks with the whitewall against the maroon paint. A nice accent I thought, although I was never thrilled about the spinner hubcaps. Then a friend suggested to turn the whitewall in and get a set of year correct dog dish hubcaps. I found a few pics of this combo and liked that look even more. So, back to the tire shop, put the whitewalls on the inside and bought those dog dish hubcaps. Never changed them again. Sold the car looking that way. I don't have a clue as to what I did with those spinner hubcaps. I'll try to find some pics of my '62 and '63 and post them.
I think maybe Pontiac started this mag wheel craze with their GTO's. They put out some beautiful factory Rallye 1 and Rallye 2 mag wheels. With a redline tire; wow. I still have a set of 2's in my garage, Carmine.

Shaark92

Well Known Member
if you're all about NCRS standard ... sure.
but the moment you increase horsepower ... even a little bit ... gonna need more rubber on the road.
I agree the "rubber band" (low profile) is out of place on an X-body, but wider radials than the stock bias ply is a plus and that means .... other than stock wheels.

nuther for Cragar SS.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I like the looks of the chrome reverse also. Never had any. Too expensive for me back then.
When I was 16, brand new aftermarket Chrome Reverse were $16 each. I couldn't afford them back then either, lol. I ended up buying a used set, 2 from one guy and two from another for $25 for a pair. Set of 4 cost me $50. I had to put in many hours pumping gas to pay for those 4 Chrome wheels !!