When changing to headers, what alt/generator mount?

Poppas409

Well Known Member
My motor is fresh rebuild,474 with /Bob Walla heads, I spoke to Wilson headers so my name is on his list. Said he will start the 409 header production around beginning of February…, I also want to change to electric fan, so I will need to change to alternator. My question is, for you guys have have gone to headers, what mounting kit do you use, since the stock generator mount bolts to exhaust manifold. Showcars shows all these various kits, but don’t know what would be the correct one to use with headers. Thanks again for the advice.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I use a Allan Grove alternator mount with the Wilson headers works great -alternator mount does no use headers

Poppas409

Well Known Member
Thanks guys, I knew the answer was out there. Now I can order the alternator and electric fan so I can drive with no overheating issues. I will also check out the Allan Grove alternator mount.

Poppas409

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info and pictures. My options without changing pulleys are Showcars part 8619 or 3039, 3038, and 3037. The last three are basically the alternator mount same as the generator. Any preferences?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
pictures attached of my Allan Grove alternator bracket -I think its way better than Show Cars # 8619 (that bracket looks funny...)
Allan Grove bracket $102 (mine are power coated black ) the adjustment for the belt and alignment with 409 pulleys is perfect.
https://show-cars.com/search?query=7859

The other 3 brackets(3039,3038, & 3037) are for stock brackets for a alternator on a 409 - I have a picture of this original set of 3 brackets mounted on one of my 409 motors before installing the motor -I decided I liked this Allan Grove mount better

Pictures on my 62 SS 409 convertible with factory cast iron big tube exhuast manifolds
I also have this same bracket on my 62 SS 409 Hardtop with Wilson Headers -using factory dual upper and lower deep groove pulleys
lines up very nice. The deep groove pulley on the 62 alterntor in the pictures is the factory one for 409 cars with a alternator.

The Allan Grove bracket uses the front of the 409 factory head and my Edelbrock heads on both my 409s

Paul

IMG_0019-002.JPGIMG_0021-001.JPGIMG_0025.JPG

Poppas409

Well Known Member
Hey Paul, good pictures, except I’m confused. I like the bracket in-your pictures but not sure if it’s the Showcars 7859 or the Allan Grove mount

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No Robert,that's a rather common thing on Goodyear's ''newer'' V belts.They'e not cogged just made that way for better cooling,less cracking.