When did you get interested in cars?

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It is cold and I'm getting cabin fever, I watched the Daytona race and began to think about when I began to be interested in cars. It was about 1950 when I started reading Mechanics Illistrated. They had a car editor by the name of Tom Mcahill who tested new cars. He built a 50 Ford with a Barney Navaro flathead. It would beat Olds and Cadillacs of that day. My racing heros were Indy drivers Bill Vucivitch (sic) and Troy Rutman. Drag Racing didn't exsist. My dream car was a 50 Cadillac convertible. :roll Roy

bobs409

Administrator
I would have to say ever since I knew what a car was! :D (at least 4 years old when my dad bought his new 1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440) And it was the Impala's that I liked best. 59-66's as I recall. (I don't remember seeing many '58's when I was a kid so I can't include that year)

My mom always said I used to bug her to let me have a car starting when I was about 8. Unfortunately, I didn't get one until I was 13. That was just a VW beetle I made a dune buggy out of but still counts. My 63 I bought the following year when I was 14. (and happy to say, still have her!)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In the womb !!!:brow

No really ,, as long as I can remember.
Back in the 50`s even as a tot I remember all the cool cars. The F**d woody, the 50`s Chevies,the Studes with the bullit nose and the old cars that still were on the road. I`m talking the A`s and T`s and such.
Seems that in Montana there were sill a lot of these cars still being used back then.
About first grade we moved to the edge of town and the neighbor had all these old cars and trucks from the 20`s and 30`s.
We would sneek over there and play around in them. Most still had a charge in the batteries and I would sit in this old C-Cab truck and stand on the starter button and try and start it. Luckily it never did start !
It was fun to see the new models come out.
I remember seeing the first fast backs like the Marlin and Chargers come out with the hidden headlights. That was way cool back then.

We would also sit by the side of the road and play a game on who could name the style /brand of the cars coming down the road first.

Try that now !!! Couldn`t happen !!!,,dq

DennisK

I too started liking cars in the late '50s, But in October of 1961 in front of a Chevy dealership in southern MN I saw my first 409 car. Love at first sight. I remember the car well. Red on Red, 409/409. jacked (way) up in the back with chrome reversed wheels. The guy that it belonged to was named Bill. I've had a lot of cars but I allways wanted a Red 1962 Biscayne 409/409 just like that one. Maybe someday! I'm working on a '63 Bel-Air with a true truck 409 now.:) :)

I know the moment exactly.I had been over my sisters sanding my uncles show bike tanks.My dad called and said we a a resto come in.At that time we would all stand together and get a picture of us before and after the car was done for a customer and our scrapbook.My dad called my sis and said I was needed for the pic.I had been around cars for my whole life and they were just another thing to me.I mean we always restored them tomint stock condition and all antiques.My uncle(actually brother inlaw) but I called him uncle said he would run me up for the picture.My sister was alot older then me.It was about 1/2 hour drive back home and I had the usual blisters and calises on my hands.I was picking at my fingers looking down I guess 10 years old to get some of the calises off when I heard my uncle jerry rev up his moter when we were stopped.So I looked up at him thinking there was a problem with the cuda or he was just makeing some noise.I looked out the window and there was a old 32 coupe built beside us.Uncle Jerry said "is it ok to me and if so get your belt on"He put his finger up to the guy to wait and we sat through the light.I clicked my belt and he heard it and smiled.Me and my sister got strapped in and my sister reached over and pulled my belt so tight I was hurting and complaining.I had done so many cars as a kid it was just another car.Right.The light was back and at red and the cars started stageing almost at a red light.Weird like 1 inch would make a world of difference.Next thing I knew we could no longer see the road and I was scared XXXXless.Then I heard a major chirp and we were almost starting to go sideways but it straightened out.Then I heard the usual rumble down and looked and we were way past the guy we ran.It seemedlike it took forever and it was the loudest thing on earth.A major event the whole world must have witnessed.LOL.As a little kid I was quiet and took in more info then most I think.I knew right then the feaver bit me.I have not gotten rid of it since.I found out a week later talking to my pop it was the driver that won that race not the cars abilty.Either way right then and there at that moment God injected a posotive crankcase flow into my minature mind.

I grew to love antique cars and the pride of correctly placeing them back together to mint shape.I love that I could meet people whom are gone now that showed me many things from lead welding to properly setting up a blower.I think what I love the most is the memories of the people that came with the cars more then the cars themselves.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
In New Jersey 1956, at my aunts house, it really wasn't a house but an old soft Ice cream stand they were living in, cuz we wuz poe, but cool to us kids. My cousin had a 1953 Merc with skirts, flaps, spotlights, dual dummies, whites and spinners, lowered in the back and all black, dice from the mirror. Loved that car. My aunt had a real nice 53 Belair two tone green, another great looking car.

Born this way. Not that I think it's a good thing:doh
I had no brothers or Dad, or near-by person who influenced me. NO ONE around me was into cars. Unfortunately, I couldn't stop it:dunno .

My first true love of cars was, and still is, 1935-48 fat fendered coupes... particularilly flathead V8's... the 35/36 3W being my very favourite cars of all time.

It's been getting closer, and will probably come to pass in the not-too-distant future... likely no more than a couple years.... I'm going to get out of the entire 348/409 stuff, and the 50/60's car thing in general, and go back to my roots. That being a couple Ford / Canadian Mercury coupes:deal .
Pretty soon now:coffee:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
CDNpontiac409guy said:
I'm going to get out of the entire 348/409 stuff, and the 50/60's car thing in general, and go back to my roots. That being a couple Ford / Canadian Mercury coupes:deal .
Pretty soon now:coffee:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :cry

It's been coming on for a while, DQ.
I'm going to try my best to make my BelAir work properly, get to Mission BC for an actual sea level run, and see if I can't get that low 11 that it should be doing.
And that'll be it.
I have some plans for a roller cammed 59A flathead with a 5 speed in my coupe:deal :D

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
62-63...my Aunt owned a pizzeria !! Seeburg jukebox....punched B-9 Beach Boys...409...I was 6...haven't stopped yet.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13

In 1963 Dad came home with a one year old 1962 SS convertible and his kid brother, just out of the Navy, ordered the new 1963 Stingray with 340 horses and IRS. I was 12 and instantly hooked on Chevies :).

Now I have one of each, although the SS I have is the hardtop. Still have super 8mm of Dad's 1962 going down the street....

Enjoy!

TomK

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
About 3 and half years old, so 1957 I guess, a small silver car pulled into the yard (Imperial Valley, CA) and the door opened into the roof. It had a red interior. I later learned from my Dad that it was the very 1st Mercedes 300 SCL Gullwing sold on the west coast and belonged to a friend of his.

As I got older discovered hot rods while living in Paramount where the local hot rod club would run me off when I was looking at their cars parked outside the club house. I used to be able to hear the fuel cars running at Lions laying in bed on summer nights with the windows open.

I was introduced to W-engines in 1973 in the Navy when a room mate had a 1960 Impala Convertible 348, 3-2s, and a 4 speed.

Dad taught me how to use tools, and how do all the basic maintenance. I rebuilt a small block under his watchful eyes and put over a 100K miles on that engine.

If it is powered by an internal combustion engine, steam, or just has exposed gears and workings it fascinates me. A coal fired steam engine or the Incline railway in Chattanooga are just as likely to cause me to stand and inspect the details as a x-frame car or a muscle car.

My preferences for my own cars is definitely biased to the mid to late 50s. And I also have a definite motorcycle jones as well.

ssalapmi

It all started here

1970 at 14 bought 1st of what is now 32 1962 chevys. It was a 62 Biscayne bought for $50.00 6cyl auto from my grandfathers shop and rebuilt from ground up till the day I turned 16 and was turned lose on the highways. Still have not grown up to date. Fast women and faster cars, gotta love em.