When were bias ply tires phased out?

bobs409

Administrator
I'm trying to find out when they stopped selling bias ply tires. I know that you can probably still get them on special order or for repro purposes but when did the majority of tire stores go all radial?

The reason I was wondering is the 66 Impala I have. I just learned that it was off the road since 1990, 14 years off until I got her back on but the car had bias ply tires all around with like new tread when I got it. (those are now scrapped due to dryrotted sidewalls)

If I'm guessing right, I would think mid 80's for the bias ply tires.

Just curious. (and no, I don't miss them!) :D Radials ride/drive sooo much better. :)

M

MK IISS

Bob: I think it was 1975 when GM started using radial tires as standard equipment on most of their cars. I know my father's new 1976 Monte Carlo came standard with radials. The 1973 Monte Carlo ( 1st yr. for that body style) also came standard with radials and along with the Corvette may have been the first Chevy models with radials. I worked for a Chevy dealer in 1978 and can remember the Nova still came standard with bias ply tires with radials an option.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
The VCCA judging manual states;"radial tires became standard on most 1974 model Chevrolets and on all 1975 models".

M

MK IISS

Tommy: Many people don't consider the poor, lowly Nova as a significant car anyway.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Tommy: Many people don't consider the poor, lowly Nova as a significant car anyway".

Well, back in 1966, I bought one with the 350hp Corvette motor (that's what we call'm then, nobody knew what a L-79 was then) and it was pretty significant to every other hot rod in town cause they didn't know which way it went!!!!!

:roll :roll

I kept that little car until 1970 when I sold it to the kid next door. He still owns today. I have first refusal if he ever sells it, but that's not likely.

bobs409

Administrator
I'll take a 66 or 67. :D Don't care much for the earlier ones or the 73 up. 68-72 wasn't bad.

Those 73-79's or so used to look like they were going sideways down the road. Anybody else ever notice that? :roll

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I knew what you meant about the Nova's Hey, this is totaly off the subject but I need your help. As you know, in 1961, the 409 motors came with two different AFB carbs. Some had the front fuel inlet, others had the fuel inlet on the rear, drivers side. My motor has the rear inlet carb with the fuel filter behind the carb. No one sells the fuel line for this carb so I will have to make one which is not a problem. I just need a picture to go by that shows what type of fittings etc. to use. Somewhere, I've seen a picture with the air cleaner off and you can get a good view of the rear fuel line rapping around the back of the carb. Have you seen this picture? There is a picture in the 348-409 book on page 93 and another on page 99 that shows a carb like mine but the fuel lines have been modified and routed in front of the carb which isn't correct. The 61 Hod Rod article shows the front inlet as does the cover of the book on 348-409 motors. What about the 61 Motor Trend? I don't have that article.
Any help would be appreaciated.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Tommy

i've got the same problem with my 62 380HP engines, i have two. the first one has what i think is correct with brass fittings, brass 1/8" pipe nipple and the std.glass bowl fuel filter behind the carb. the sec. is clobbered up with hotrod parts. sorry i don't have pictures. i think the last picture i saw was one that Verne Fraz had. and it does look make-shift but is correct.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Gearhead,
Thanks, I didn't know the 62 had the rear inlet. I'll check with Verne next week. I've got the picture that I want somewhere but I can't find it.:dunno

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Richard,

I see in your Nova ad where bias ply tires are offered as an option, but don't see where they were standard equipment. Did I miss something?

SteveD

M

MK IISS

Steve: The bias ply "white-stripe" tire was an option over the standard blackwall bias ply tire.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I think they were "phased" in over some time. I had bought new a 70 s/s 454 Monte Carlo(Wish I still had it) and it was none radial. I then bought a 73 vette and it came with Firestone radials I think