Where are they....axle ratios that is??

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a 4.88 posi center that I was told came out of a green two door '60 Brookwood 348 tri-power / 3 speed w OD. It's been many years since I looked at it, but I think I remember the ring & pinion being GM parts. Nothing in the charts for a 4.88:1 from '58-'64. Was I mis-informed all those years ago (always sounded like a cool sleeper combo) or could it have originally been a Military car with non-standard options???

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a set of 5.38 GM gears
What are they out of Aubrey, or over-the-counter maybe?

I've got some 5.13 12 bolt (car) gears that are GM parts, but not sure the history of them. I have always used 4.88's (the rear above that never broke even with the 454 and slicks) and in the 12 bolt with a spool. The local tracks are 1/8th mile only so I may slip the 5.13's in one day.

Over the counter, I would imagine:rub
My experience with these rears ( I have a little bit;) ), is that there are a few gear ratios to avoid for big power applications.
3.08 , 3.70 , 5.38
I think it's something about the pitch on the teeth:scratch. I know that for no apparent reason, with a 327, I have stripped teeth off each of them.
Never hurt a 3.55 or 4.56
:dunno

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have to look, but I believe I still have original Chevrolet boxes with 5:13 and a 4:88. I know they were available because I sold them in the 60's at a Chevrolet dealership, also 5:38.