Where do I find THIS number?

Vin Raimo

All,
I'm looking for the number that tells me whether or not the engine I have is original for my car. My motor is correct year and build (1962 409/409) as I found on the casting code. My VIN matches the color codes, NON-SS, year, etc. but I don't know where to find the number that matches the motor to the car. If anyone could clue me in I'd appreciate it!
Thanks,
-Vin

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All,
I'm looking for the number that tells me whether or not the engine I have is original for my car. My motor is correct year and build (1962 409/409) as I found on the casting code. My VIN matches the color codes, NON-SS, year, etc. but I don't know where to find the number that matches the motor to the car. If anyone could clue me in I'd appreciate it!
Thanks,
-Vin
Your vin# dose not have anything to do with your paint or trim code. The trim code will tell you what interior your car came with aND bench or bucket seats. Only SS cars were equipped with bucket seats and that is how a SS car is identified for 1962. If your engine is original to the car 409/409 the vin # will be stamped on the deck surface in front of the passenger head along with the suffix code.
http://www.348-409.com/suffix.html

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Since he doesn't designate an engine size, it is probably important to say this only applies to 409 engines.

Vin Raimo

Thanks All. I'm on Cape Cod in MA. I'm
Trying to decode my car as far as possible. The head has the QB code so I know it's a 62 409/409 4speed as it should be. I've decoded the tag on the firewall to see that it is a non SS (no buckets and no SS designation in the code), white with blue interior. I think with all this in order I'm clear to claim this is a "numbers matching" vehicle. Am I correct?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it was original it would have the cars VIN number stamped on the front engine pad with the QB designation.

Vin Raimo

Ok. THAT's the info I was looking for. My car is NOT matching then. Motor is a true 62 409/409 and vehicle plate says car came with a V8. PO claims car is a true 409 but how can you tell that for sure?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
The # after the L is the sequential build or vin for my particular car......it is the same as the vin on the door jamb of my Chevy.that's not to say that some unscrupulous person couldn't mimic or misrepresent to present a number matching carIMAG0276.jpg

Vin Raimo

What do you make of this? The first line of numbers does not match my VIN. The motor is clearly from a 62 409/409 with a 4 speed though, correct? My cars firewall plate says it came with a V8 but there's no way to tell for certain which v8 it came with?
image.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like from a Baltimore built car. The 62 VIN stamps are notably poorly legible with different size and style fonts. Yours looks like it might have some over strikes.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Please post a pic of the firewall tag and VIN tag. The firewall tag always had the v8 model designation. The VIN will tell us if it was built as a 6 or 8 cyl car. The engine stamp says it was assembled on Nov 27. The serial number stamp on the block looks to be a long way from the normal gang holder stamp.

Vin Raimo

Ok. Here they all are together. I believe I have it figured out but I wanted to see if anyone had anything to add. Please let me know your interpretations. Thanks for everyone's help.
jamb tag.JPG block stamp.JPG firewall plate.JPG

Vin Raimo

So......
What I have here is a:
1962 Impala 2 door sport coupe in Ermine White with Blue interior.
Currently has a 409/409 (legit factory built but not original to the car) with a 4 speed.
Although the car is an original V8 car this motor does not match the car's VIN and I have no way of knowing whether it came with a 409 or not.
Would these be a fair statements? Is there any way to tell if it came with a 409? PO claims it's an original 409 car but I don't know how he could be sure.
I just want to be sure the car is not misrepresented as I am planning on posting it for sale.
Thanks!
-Vin

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry that I can not help you anywhere near as much as the great experts we have here, but I do want to take the time to THANK YOU for taking the time to research this before selling and for not trying to misrepresent a car. That happens way too much already!!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Check to see if it has a 3/8 inch fuel line routed underneath the pass side upper A arm. That will narrow it down to a 327 or 409 car. The 283 cars had a 5/16 inch fuel line routed along side the brake line on top of the frame rail next to the exhaust manifold. The 409 cars also had a ballast resistor by the windshield wiper motor. Also see if there are 2 screw holes on the left side of the steering column by the turn signal lever for the required tach mount. Your post #17 looks like an accurate statement.

Last edited:

Vin Raimo

Check to see if it has a 3/8 inch fuel line routed underneath the pass side upper A arm. That will narrow it down to a 327 or 409 car. The 283 cars had a 5/16 inch fuel line routed along side the brake line on top of the frame rail next to the exhaust manifold. The 409 cars also had a ballast resistor by the windshield wiper motor. Also see if there are 2 screw holes on the left side of the steering column by the turn signal lever for the required tach mount. Your post #17 looks like an accurate statement.
62I409,
My car has all those characteristics. Here are the photos. Resistor is visible in motor shots and fuel line is visible in the underneath shots. Do you agree?motor1.JPG
motor2.JPG fuel line 1.JPG
fuel line 2.JPG IMG_5725.JPG