Where do I find THIS number?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Your car looks like it could be the real deal. A bit more detective work would be required though as far as wiring harness correctness etc. Nice Impala for sure. Just having the correct year engine for the car is a very big deal.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Did the vin# to block start after 62 model yr.the reason I ask is that there are many 62 Bel Air sold with Correct motor meaning it(the motor) was built prior to the build date of the car.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is it correct that some early build 62 409 cars did not have a vin stamped in the block and only a date?

There really is no way to say if the car is an original 409 car without documentation. They are very easy to clone.
So......
What I have here is a:
1962 Impala 2 door sport coupe in Ermine White with Blue interior.
Currently has a 409/409 (legit factory built but not original to the car) with a 4 speed.
Although the car is an original V8 car this motor does not match the car's VIN and I have no way of knowing whether it came with a 409 or not.
Would these be a fair statements? Is there any way to tell if it came with a 409? PO claims it's an original 409 car but I don't know how he could be sure.
I just want to be sure the car is not misrepresented as I am planning on posting it for sale.
Thanks!
-Vin
That all looks good but ditch the "legit factory built" part. Unless it is an original, never been apart, all casting date correct engine.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Is that a small block fan shroud? I would say it has a period correct motor, but not original to the car. Only a paper trail could authenticate your car as an original 409 car. Looks good.

Vin Raimo

Well we all know that most cars have a story and mine is no different. I bought this car from a well respected collector in MA in kind of a hurry. My Dad had just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer so we decided to get him his dream car and do some shows and drives while he was still able. We went to check out this collection and my Dad knew which one he wanted right away. I had no reason (and still don't) to doubt this person's word on the history of the car. He is a well known, honorable guy that respects this hobby and everyone involved. He claimed it to be a true 409/409 car and I believe it is. So we had a great time in the car until my Dad decided he was ready to go to that great drag strip in the sky to run his best 1/4. He passed in March of this year.
I've decided to sell the car as it was a bit out of my price range but as far as I was concerned it was well worth it for the short period of time I was able to share it with my Dad. That being said I'm finding it difficult to PROVE that this is a TRUE 409 car and this is apparently important to would be buyers. The car is a rotisserie restored beautiful example and regardless it is about as accurate a restoration as you can get.
Thanks to all of you for your help confirming my findings. I really do appreciate it and I'll keep you posted.

Vin Raimo

Is that a small block fan shroud? I would say it has a period correct motor, but not original to the car. Only a paper trail could authenticate your car as an original 409 car. Looks good.
MRHP,
It doesn't look like it from that angle but that is the correct shroud. Thanks for your help.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

The fan shroud looks correct to me.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Vin, how much do you want for the car? I don't want to buy it, but am curious what you think it is worth.

Don

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Why is the Sun sending unit upside down? Battery mounting is backwards? Muncie trans? Does the build date allow for the alternator? Alternator bracket looks sbc or different year. Build date verify the old style exhaust manifolds? You need to look at all the casting dates compared to cars assembly date and all the engine component dates. Other things I notice not original are the brake master and the radiator.

Last edited:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Just an after thought. The fender flags and 409 appear to be too high on the fender. Maybe just my look on it? I think the factory punched the holes and did not drill. Could look inside the fender and see if it looks drilled. Did factory punch holes before or after the paint?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Also the clutch fork boot is missing and the tach looks to be too low on the steering column.

Vin Raimo

models916,
Ok. Getting there. These are things I want to know. I want to be ready for the most scrutinizing buyers.
The tach is low on the column because the bracket is a little loose.
I know the alternator and bracket are not original
I thought it had a BW 4 speed but know that I look at the Muncie photo references I see that it's a MUNCIE!
Keep 'em coming.
Thanks!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Vin..the tach has a mounting bracket curved to fit the OD of the steering column and is fastened with 2 screws. It can't slip down. Maybe you have the big screw type hose clamp on yours.

Vin Raimo

Hi Phil,
It's actually the whole section of the collar on the column that is a bit loose. These is no hose clamp. I know what you mean though. This is the factory mount.IMG_5770.JPG IMG_5769.JPG IMG_5771.JPG IMG_5773.JPG

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Vin..the tach has a mounting bracket curved to fit the OD of the steering column and is fastened with 2 screws. It can't slip down. Maybe you have the big screw type hose clamp on yours.
Hey Mr. Know It All (Phil) are you saying all 62s came with screws to hold the tach? My 62 came with the screw type hose clamp with a piece of rubber under the clamp from the factory. Just wondering!:rub

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the correct factory tach mounting location on a 61 and 62 Chevy.
The bracket was mounted using an original factory tach steering column template with the factory screw holes.
Also note the location of the turn signal arm in as compared to the tach.DSCN0188.JPG DSCN5088.JPG
Paul