Where does one stop?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
So I've started do mess around with the newest acquisition, a 1962 Impala convert.

The game plan is NOT to do a body off restoration, rather try to make it a nice driver by the year's end :).
The auto really deserves a body off effort, but that will take me three years or more given my experience (or lack thereof). I'd like to drive it around a bit, get to know it, then decide when and to what extent it needs to come apart.

It's going to be used to break in a 348 stroker (409 crank) and will have a TH400 behind that. Plans are to make a top down cruiser. Quick brake job, drop in the drive train, prep her for color and put the existing interior back in place. Then drive it for a few years to get to know it better. Take it apart sometime later and do it with more detail with a serious body off, assuming the car still deserves it :).

I'm starting with the four corners, keeping the drum brake set up but replacing the wheel cylinders and putting new brake pads on. And new lines, gonna switch over to the dual master.
IMG_9649.JPG

While tearing into the RF corner, I had ocassion to remove the fender and inner to adjust the RH door. And to inspect the condition of those parts a bit closer. Good thing I did. I found what I believe to be some writing inside the RH front fender. It clearly reads "Archie Moore" and the car was Baltimore built. Wasn't he a famous boxer from back in the day? Check this out (hard to see in the pics):
IMG_9659.JPG

Seems the previous owner did a few bushing replacements, but didn't do the ball joints. And of course everything is covered in road grime. To be honest, I'm having trouble trying to decide where to stop! Do I remove the whole front suspension while I'm in there and detail that then put everything back in place and hang the new brakes under the old drums? (I really do want to keep it drum-drum).

Enjoy!
TomK

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
.......been there - done that Tom ........but when it comes to safety don't take any shortcuts.
A recent 'brake job' on our 66 Impala turned into a complete 'brake restoration' of all parts,
took a while to complete but it's done now and better than new...........:cool:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you build a man shed first , you can christen it with the 62 convert and do a frame up!!!!! You are only 64, in three year's you will have it done, MAYBE??????:):) You would feel a lot better about scattering it the where you would not tie up your home garage space,and work on it when you felt like it.JMO

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
There is, NO END, to the Automobile Rubik's Cube.:doh:rubRemember the song. "One thing, leads to another":rolleyes

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Cash in your 401 K and take the car to The best auto restorer you can find. After a few years the wife will you back in the house and you will have a perfectly resorted convertible worth half of the money it took to restore it. Or,,,,,,just change body mounts brakes and clean the undercarriage paint and interior and your ready to start having fun and won't have to move out of the house.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would bet there were some joker's in those auto plant's. A older tech once told me this customer's car had a rattle, thud, in one of the door's. He pulled off the door panel and found a pop bottle inside with a note attached. How long did it take you to find this rattle?????

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The last car I pulled apart was my 67 LeMans convertible. All I was going to do was repaint the dash. Turned into a body off. Drive it.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
As expected, I decided to upgrade the suspension while doing the brakes. Out comes the springs and off come the A arms. Strip and paint the parts. Reassemble with new components as needed.

Now it's dead in my garage and up on stands. Will be that way for a while as I order more parts. This is my slow part of the year, after the semester is over and before summer session begins (June 4th). Time to get all those little honeydo's off the list and play with my projects :).

Cheers!
TomK