Where to start body rebuild

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm just getting started redoing my 58 Belair and have to redo the floors and braces from the trunk to the front some of it isn't totally shot but I may as well do it all at one time, then I know it's all been done clean. Also got to do lower quarters and a crease that some dork did to me in a parking lot on the rear quarter.Fenders need work too.
Any suggestions on where to start , like for instance start with the trunk floor and move forward or vise versa.
One other question how do you guys feel about trim, I mean I'm toying with the idea of leaving off the trim cause these fifties and sixties chevys have such nice clean body lines sometimes the trim covers up a sweet looking shape. :bow
Anybody want to put in there two cents?
Thanks John

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As for the trim, don't leave it off. Just my opinion but I have seen 58s with the trim removed and they look like &^*(. They look slab sided and the lines don't stand out as well as with the trim. Also you will limit the marketablility of the car. As with any custom, It may please you but it may not appeal to potential buyers who appreciate the original look. I have several 58s and love the look. I got my first, a Delray 2 dr sedan, in 61. The BelAir has the best trim accents of all the models, I think. When I repainted my DelRay I removed the Chevy emblems on the hood and trunk but left the V. I also removed the DelRay script from the side but thats as far as I went. It looked good and that is about as far as I would go in removing any trim.JMHO

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think concentrating on one area at a time is a good idea. When you tear too much apart at once it starts to look like an impossibly big job and it's easy to loose interest. Also, if you work on one particular area first, like the trunk for instance, you will find that you body work skills will improve. So by the time you're working on the quarter pannels etc. you'll be able to do a better job. It's also nice to be able to say, the trunk's done, then the floor, etc. Breaking the job down into smaller parts really works for me.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the opinions guys
Old Sky Dog I think you're right about the trim but since the car now has a six it has the Chev emblem on the trunk and hood but I'm going to put the "V" on the hood for sure and probably the trunk too, but the emblem on the trunk also makes it easier to open. One thing that just happened was one of the fender spears falling off when I was washing it, so to even it out I removed the other side and it looks better so I might leave them off but I tend to agree that the car is usually better looking the way it was made unless you're racing or going full custom. (I've seen some customs and had to read the description to find out what is was Frankenstien would be proud) Bye the way, nice texan is it restored or in the process. I'm a plane buff too. Spent a lot of hours at air shows and the air museum in Hamilton Ontario Can they've got some beauties and what can I say their Lancaster is awsome specially when the fire it up at a show.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Jim
I thought I would start at the trunk and floors, I did a 54 Chev along time ago so I'm a little familiar with the work but I'm about as rusty as the floors :brow
I also agree that doing it one step at a time and checking it off so to speak is much better than having 10 things all part done. I could see people getting really depressed and chucking in the towel.
My biggest problem is that I'll be doing the work at our business and I'll have to be able to move it in and out so it will always need to be rolling at least during the week.
Thanks

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's a T-28 Trojan, not a T-6 Texan but thanks for the complement. It was flying and only needs paint. It took me four years to build it as it was all in pieces when I got it. Can't fly anymore for medical reasons so I will have to sell it. Love those Lancasters.
:bow :cheers

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lancaster

Saw that Lancaster fly at Geneseo, New York, about 10 years ago. They used to have a big airshow there. The Lancaster flew over with 5 B-17s and 1 B-24. Beautiful show. I think there were about a dozen P-51s, a Hurricane, numerous T-6s and T-34s. Will never forget it. And that Lancaster had a HUGE bomb bay. 4 Merlins sure sounded nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cecil, join the club on the medical. Bummer.