Which cam?

Hey, folks...I have a 61 Impala with the 230hp 283 with factory dual exhaust. It currently has the Powerglide but will be converting to an M20 Muncie. Looking for suggestions on a street cam to give me a little lope. It is currently completely stock and runs great. Just looking for a little more zing. Thanks for any input! Mark

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
:yup That was the one that was used in a lot of the small blocks back in the day. My brother put one in his new 1964 Chevelle SS, 283.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy pn SK12-412-8,Lunati Voodoo pn.20120710k will work just fine.There are others as well from other places but these are from personal experiance for a small displacement small block.These are hyd.roller cam/kit combo's

427John

Well Known Member
I always assumed there was only 1 350 horse cam but apparently the L79 327/350 and the L46 350/350 used 2 slightly different cams with different ICL's and the 350 cam had a little more exhaust lift.Also the later L82 350 used the same cam as the L46,apparently the L79 cam timing was more geared to higher rpms.

427John

Well Known Member
Yes and the the L-46 cam is GM 3896962,it appears to still be available from GMPP as well as other sources.While the L-79 doesn't appear to be available from GMPP it is from other sources, I think it would still be my choice for a 283.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If hose were my only 2 choices,I'd go With the L79 but rhere are much better modern cams available now.The reason that I recommended the roller cam that I did is because of the lack of good flat tappet lifters which we all know[and some choose to ignore].Of the two I suggested,the Lunati would be the least expensive and just a tad milder.When you're talking about a 4200 plus car that is more than likely geared tall[3.08 -3.36] and a small engine,small cams are a much more reasonable choice.This is cruiser not a street brawler.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've had this in the archives forever. I think it is one or the other of the hydraulic cams mentioned above, ground by Crane and with US made lifters, according to the box. I can' t locate any other details about it. Anybody have any documentation? I guess I could open the box! Summit says it is the 151 which is the L-79.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 10

427John

Well Known Member
I guess thats what I meant to say Don of those 2 I'd choose the L-79.I agree there are plenty of better choices for his car.