Which frames will interchange?...

348tgh

I'm in the middle of restoring my 59 2dr hdtp and it appears the frame (mostly behind the axle) is rotted a lot worse than I first thought. I realize that this would be the best time to do something about it, seeing as the driveline is out of the car and the body is completely gutted and the front clip is off, etc. It's just something I wasn't expecting. Anyway, I guess I have a couple of options - cut up the old frame and box in new pieces here and there until it's solid enough to use and look presentable (The car is not going to be a points winner, just a nice restoration/driver, keeping it as close to original as possible).
Second option - find a decent frame/chassis from another car that I can set this body on and continue with the restoration.

Since I'm kinda new to these old Chevies, this raises a few questions for me. What years/bodystyles frames will interchange? How much should I expect to pay for a bare X-frame in good-enough-to-use shape? If other years are different (63, 64?), how different are they? If they're not an exact swap, how much work is it to make them work?

Thanks for any info anyone can pass my way.

I've chimed in a couple of times before, but not since the new site was developed. Lot's of great information here!

Thanks!

Toby (2-tone 2drhdtp '59 348PG)

bobs409

Administrator
Toby,

According to the part numbers, 1959 and 1960 Chevys use the same frame. Convertibles have a different frame from the others so avoid those. (they have a boxed frame and I believe 2 extra body mounting points)

I can't say on other GM products of those years like Olds, Pontiac's etc but perhaps there's an interchange manual somewhere that might have that info. Maybe someone here???

If the rot is in a confined area and not too large, it may be better to just fix it. Just watch an episode or two of Monster garage or American chopper first to get into the welding/grinding mood! :D (I hate it when I get in the mood to weld something at 10 o'clock at night!) :p

crawler

59's have different upper rear control arm mounting than 60's. That's the only difference I know of between the two years. 58 upper rear control arms are quite different and would not work without a bunch of modification. I would suggest trying to work with your original if possible.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
holander interchange says 59-60 passenger and delivery exc convertable. I think :confused: the convert has an extra plate welded to the top of the center section plus the extra mount. I thought the elky and delivery might have this too. Any verification? :deal

348tgh

Hey, thanks for the info guys. After mulling it over for a bit, I think it will be "easier"(?) to repair what I have.

Since this was never intended to be a frame off restoration, I have to leave it on there. I fear that if it comes off the frame, I will be in a whole 'nother world of financial problems because of all the "hey, since I'm doing this, I might as well replace this bit or upgrade this part..." etc.

.....must stay focused!!!

I want to be able to drive and enjoy it, not trailer it around.

Toby

JokersBel

Banned
Driving them is what it's all about! If you were closer to Michigan, i'd be able to help with a frame. I have a 59 Biscayne that I bought, and it just doesn't seem like i'm gonna do anything to her for a long time, if at all. The bottom of the body is rusty, but the frame is good and came from another car. I also have my Bel Air frame/348 engine, sitting aside from the body at this time, so if you ever need any particular pics, just let me know and i can email whatever you need.

Gotta save those 59's too! Jim