White residue found inside radiator

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi,
I've got a 58 Impala with a 348 motor and have been having high engine temperature readings. I decided to try a product called Thermocure by Evaporust after doing 2 treatments for heavy rust in the engine, has anyone experienced a white residue inside their radiator or the intake manifold? What brand of radiator flush fluid do you recommend to get rid of the white residue? It seems to come off when I scrape it off-it like plumbers putty in texture when mixed with water it feels like toothpaste.

bobs409

Administrator
Just be ready for a big bill if you take your radiator to be cleaned! Those places (the ones I've dealt with anyway) will be sure to blow holes in your core so they can get themselves a "re-core" job! It doesn't take much to destroy a radiator when they are old. A few pounds too much and :splat

And the last re-core I got a price on was $550 for a 2 core radiator!!!!!!!!!!! I told them where to stick that job. :angry

bobs409

Administrator
You got screwed Bob. I had a shop make me a 4 core and move the inlet hose fitting using my tanks. I didn't like the way GM had the inlet and outlet directly below/above each other. Around $400 5 years ago. I did get a discount through the business.

I didn't get screwed, I took my radiator home. I ended up taking a used radiator I had and swapping the brackets from my other. Savings=$550 C'ching!

wristpin

Well Known Member
Calcium build up from hardwater use. Use radiator boil out solution from auto store. It it EDTA which is caustic. If its not to bad use half the bottle and boil system out. Then flush and rinse with garden hose after engine is cool. Repeat with other half of bottle. Then fill with 50/50 DISTILLED WATER and ANTIFREEZE.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Many years ago, I took my original, 3 Core 409 Radiator, to a shop near me.:thud$ 400-$ 500.00 for a Recore. :doh:drop I told him, I could buy a Desert Cooler 4-Core, for less than $ 350.00. :clap He smiled and said "I Know":dunno That was his final answer. :dunno2 I bought one, from Show Cars. :appl

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Many years ago, I took my original, 3 Core 409 Radiator, to a shop near me.:thud$ 400-$ 500.00 for a Recore. :doh:drop I told him, I could buy a Desert Cooler 4-Core, for less than $ 350.00. :clap He smiled and said "I Know":dunno That was his final answer. :dunno2 I bought one, from Show Cars. :appl
If you still have your original radiator, I would like to buy it Skip.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's the I don't want to do and don't care to do it attitude.