Who else here has a 1961 BelAir 2 Door ?

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’m trying to figure out what the original arm rests look like.
I bought new arm rest bases a long time ago,
and recently bought new pads from CARS.
Well, they won’t go together. One, or maybe both of them are wrong.
Can someone please shoot me an image of the correct arm rest base and pad ?
The base I have has a tapered end, and the pad is squared off on the end.0ABD9DB9-1754-42D5-BDB5-305FBA3E9709.jpeg

BelAirBub

Another 61 BA Bubbletop owner and I have discussed this in the past but never concluded definitively. He says 62 Bel Air Bubbletop is NOT the same as 61. He was going to visit Truck and Car Shop in Orange, CA as he lives down there and compare one of theirs off the shelf. I'll get pix of my originals tonight

BelAirBub

Here's seller pix from an original car I tried to buy. Can't tell alot from the pic tho.00P0P_7RKlp2WvQhk_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, it appears that I bought the wrong base.
Me thinks the “correct” base has squared off ends.
Going to try and find a source for the correct ones.
That ought to be fun.
Geeze , it’s always somethin.
Wonder what the hell these bases someone sold me are actually for.

BelAirBub

View attachment 87428
I believe Impala and Bel Air arm rests are different

61BUBBLE348, your armrest bases look more angled on the front like Randy's however mine are the same angle on both ends? I wonder if either of ours have been replaced? Would the bolt hole spacing be the same for the attachment to the door? I'll measure mine.

EDIT: Apparently the foreshortening in Rady's first pic with the red pad tricked my eye. Randy's new base has the same angle on both ends just like the bases on my car that are probably originals.

Last edited:

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think the new base that I have is like yours. Slight taper on both ends.
But the ones that 61bubble348 has are different. Looks like a sharp angle on the front by door handle, and squared off on the back side.
At this point, I don’t care which one I end up with. All I know is the parts I have won’t work together.
Kinda like the base that we have. May have to have new pads & covers made to fit.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok. So today when I got home from work, I went out to one of my out buildings & dug out an old original door panel that came with a pile of parts with my car. It was a front door panel.
I compared the impression with the chrome base that I purchased.
It was a perfect match!
So.......
the chrome base’s that I have are correct.
Their the same as yours, Belairbub.
Now, I have to come up with the correct pads & vinyl covers.
I don’t have a clue what these pads are actually for that CARS sold me, but I’ll tell you what. They need to get their listing corrected. Good thing (for them) that these cars are so rare. I can’t believe that they haven’t had this issue before. I haven’t called them yet. That aught to be a fun conversation. Prolly call them this Thursday after work.
Whatever I come up with, I’ll update this post so that if anyone else has this issue, it won’t be such a hassle for them.

61_bubbletop

I can tell you that Chevy Shop in Orange does not carry the 61 BA armrest pads or base. I took my armrest there is compare the 62 BA option they had and they are 100% not the same. I will snag pics of mine later and share.

I would also check with Ciadella Interiors. I am sure they can make you the pad.
https://www.ciadellainteriors.com/

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I am pretty sure the arm rests in my Sport Coupe are original to the car. regarding the mounting points, I would expect that they would be the same, but someone with an Impala Sport Coupe might be able to answer this.