Who makes a quality center support bearing?

dave62

Well Known Member
Does anyone besides SC sell center support bearings? I am looking for the stock style not the billet aluminum ones. Thanks, Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Weak link

Just a suggestion, I know you are looking for the stock replacement parts, but...

It appears to me that one of the weak links in drive line of an "X" frame car is that center support piece. You can get stock replacement parts "over the counter", maybe even from your GM dealer, but if you are dealing with any torque you might consider that billet piece :).

I purchased a stock replacement item from NAPA, not a chinese piece, pretty good unit, but decided to switch over to the billet piece from SC.

Your call!

Best,
TomK

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave - I have found that NAPA has a quality stock replacement style center bearing for our x frame cars. I would highly suggest to have a weld shop weld the tapped plate to the bearing housing. I would do this no matter what engine you are running. If the center bearing is out, please consider stongly replacing the u joints - again the NAPA Super Tuff u-joints are very nice but NOT cheap. Replace everything and check or have checked your drive shaft angles for trouble free driving. A quck ballance of the drive shaft assy would not be out of the question. Make sure to wait to tighten the carrier bolts until the car is setting on the tires.

I installed the parts listed above 3 years ago and have had not issues. I drive the car regularly on the highway and street with no vibrations. I have made 70 plus 1/4 mile passes shifting at 5000rpm with the tires protesting. Driven several thousand miles. But of course I have puny 350. IF I had a 409 stroker engine, I would probally be considering the SC carrier.

TomO

dave62

Well Known Member
Thanks for the advice guys. This project is getting pretty expensive but i guess this is not a good place to try and save some money. Guess I'll go with the billet unit.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Inland Empire Drive lines

DQ, that is the driveline I put in my car. Pricey, but bullet proof. All 1350 U joints, too. They are a good outfit to work with.

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
502 kit

Yes, Steve, I'm using the 502 kit. Bullet proof. All 1350 U joints. Figured to spend the money on it and not worry about drive line failures. It is a nice unit.

Fred

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Inland Empire Driveline Service

I recommended IEDLS to a friend who was having problems with the center support bearing in his '58 running a 350/350. They told him they would sell him their high dollar piece if he wanted it, but that he didn't need it. They then talked him through troubleshooting and helped him solve his problem using locally available parts. No income to IEDLS. Very classy outfit.