Who's got a 9 inch?.....

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Gravy 62 said:
So far it looks like two members have said they have a 9 inch in there car.

Gus68 you went from a 3.36 to a 3.70s, not really a huge gearing difference but you did notice an positive acceleration difference?

fatride you have 4.56 in your 9 inch, what did you start out with?

I hate being so analytical about this but BIG$ take some big thought.

I have loaded a fresh bullet in the camber, another 3.36 open 3rd member. Hopefully I can keep it together so I can cruise out the rest of the season without a problem. I am going to have to drive it like it is the 235/3 speed to make it last.:yawn:

A buddy of mine is selling me a '62 3.08 geared non-P case with an OE type Power Lock posi, and a new bearing set for $200. I will order a new 3.55 (since the 3.70s have a bad rep.), posi clutch kit, and the bearing cap girdles. I will put that in as an upgrade from the open in the near future. I don't know if I will keep it and upgrade to the 30 spline axles or go to a 8 3/4 or 9 inch.

Gravy

I started out with a 4:11 gear in the 9". I have ran everything from 3:08 , 3:36, 4:11, in the stock rear when I had a stout 348 between the fenders.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Aubrey needs to tell you about the up graded stock rear he put in that bad a** 427 powered `55 !!!!!!:brow

Gravy 62

I have talked to Aubrey last winter about his products; yes he seems to have the ticket for the factory rear. He told me that '55 is BAD. I just wanted to get some feedback from folks on his products and 9 inch and 8 3/4 inch swaps.

I do believe beefing up the factory rear will probably do it for me but I have broken many rear ends in many cars, some by trying some by dumb luck:doh . I am trying to get the best bang for buck without any of that "what I should’ a done was..." crap:bang .

Nothing is guaranteed and that is why I want as much feedback as possible.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback so far.

Gravy

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Gravy 62 said:
fatride did you notice and negative performance difference going to the 9 inch?

Gravy

Can't dispute what others say that had apple to apple comparo's. In my case I had changed more than one thing when I added the 9". I guess if you wanted to wring the last .001 out of your car it would be a concern. Bunches of guys running with the Ford 9" including most of the NASCAR field. If your worried do what I did,,,,,,,build a better engine! :deal

dq409 said:
Aubrey needs to tell you about the up graded stock rear he put in that bad a** 427 powered `55 !!!!!!:brow

By request;) ....

Here is the 55 Chevy that I built for my brother in 2003.
COMPLETE original steel body / chassis. 468 inch BBC, Dart large port heads, Herbert .685" lift roller cam, 2 1/8" Hooker headers, Single Demon 850 on a Dart intake. On the same dyno that my Stocker 409 made 508 horsepower, this engine peaked 656 HP @ 6600 RPM. Peak torque 623 @ 4900. This was combined with a 2.43 1st gear Super T10 4 speed.
Rear started with a 62 housing, narrowed 3 1/2" each side, using ALL my internal parts, along with my spool.
Then he added nitrous:eek:
On a chassis dyno, 783 HP at the rear tires.

At Viking raceway in Gimli Manitoba in August, 2004, this car ran in the fastest street car shootout in the natuarally aspirated group.
Final round for hte 1st place tital was a 9.70 @ 140 MPH.
Car was later cruising streets of Winnipeg that Sunday night:deal .

Gravy 62

That car ran in the nines......IN THE NINES!!! :eek:

As they say..."the proof is in the pudding". That is definitely one BAD A** '55! :bow

When I spoke to you last year on the phone and you mentioned that '55 I guess I didn't remember that all that motor was in that car and that it ran nines.

Three questions Aubrey:

1) How long was it in the car?

2) Any breakage or issues with the rear end at all?

3) How important is the reinforcements on the back and bottom of the housing?

Gravy

Gravy 62 said:
1) How long was it in the car?
2) Any breakage or issues with the rear end at all?
3) How important is the reinforcements on the back and bottom of the housing?
Gravy

Car was first road tested by me, here in Alberta, in September, 2003. Delivered to my brother in Manitoba in early October, and driven around a bit.
In the spring, my brother used to drive it occasionally. He took it to the strip ( on engine only ), and his friend turned a 10.90 @ 128 MPH.
Wasn't enough for Rodger Bruneau:dunno.
Then he had a speed shop do the modest nitrous kit. Car ran a 10.10, but hurt the posi unit on the second pass. That's when I removed my custom made spool from my BelAir, and sent it to him so he could run at the event.
In the mean time, it saw a lot of street runs:doh ;) . Driven regularily until September 15th, 2004.

The reinforcements on the housing ?
If you have nearly 800 horsepower at the rear tires, and at least SOME traction, you better have the reinforcements:p

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
few more cubics than my 427 but pretty close on the rest. How does the spool do on the street? Does it tear up tires or:dunno I am mostly going to shows close by and get in that one run at the strip before they ban me due to lack of roll bars :-)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Michael Mason run a spool in his `62 pro-street big stroker 409 and it works just fine.
you do have to take it easy on the tight turns or you can snap an axle,,,dq

Gravy 62

Aubrey, would the housing reinforcements be necessary on a 4 speed street car or is it not really needed?

Also, I dig the flathead with 3 or 4 Strombergs or Holley 94's in the background of the last picture of the '55 with no front clip.:D

Thanks for your help on this, I know you have probably been through this 9 inch/ 8.75/ 12 bolt vs. OE Chevy rear stuff too many times it seems. Your products speak for themselves, I plan to order what i need ASAP. Christmas may come early (again) this year.:p

Gravy