Who's got a 9 inch?.....

Gravy 62

Yes F O R D.
I typed the Brand X word as hard as it was... I typed it.

Who has a 9 inch Ford in there X frame Chevy?
Does your car feel slower or different with that heavier rear?

I had a '86 Monte Carlo with a 350 and I got tired of sweeping up 7.5" rearend parts so I put a Moser 9 inch in it. That rear end made the car a PIG, I went from a 7.5"/3.42 to a 9"/ 3.50. Felt like I was towing a mobile home. My buddy put a 9 inch/4.11 in his '63 Belair (10.5:1 SBC, Dart heads, Muncie 2.20 1st gear) it would hardly break the street tires loose on black top!
Has any one experienced the same results?
I have seen Aubrey's parts for theses Chevy rearends, I seen the videos, and I talked to him on the phone last year about his products.
Who has used and abused his parts and what was the result, any problems at all?

I don't want to break another one of these rear ends. I have broken 2- 3.36 opens (I know using an open is the first problem) since June, never did a hole shot and never shifted without lifting of gas pedal. I cruise the kids and wifey around and it is not good when you have to get the family a ride home because your pride and joy's rear just took a dump!:cuss

Gravy

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
rearend

Forget the 9" , it's much to heavy. I'm in the middle of installing an 8 3/4 form a B-body mopar. There almost as strong but 400lbs lighter:roll

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
It's hard to break a 9". Most of the racers use them often over 12 bolts. They are a pumpkin like the factory 10 bolts we have so they look closer to stock than adding a 12 bolt. They might be a little heavier but but our pumpkins and theirs are both pretty heavy!

There is ALOT more aftermarket axle choices, Posis or Lockers availabel for the 9". Also the pinion splines on our 10 bolts are pretty puny even if you upgrade to more splines in the posi and axles. Especially if you use a stick the 9" is stronger. They do eat a little more HP than a 12 bolt from the gear placement in the pumpkin.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
jester said:
Forget the 9" , it's much to heavy. I'm in the middle of installing an 8 3/4 form a B-body mopar. There almost as strong but 400lbs lighter:roll
Hello, can anyone hear me? Is this thing broke?:dunno

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
jester, I also think the 8 3/4 Mopar rear end is good, but can it really be 400lbs lighter?

I think Aubrey uses 8 3/4 Mopar parts for his upgrades.

DTS and Mosier make 12 bolt setups for our cars. I got one from DTS and it would have droped right if I wouldn't have ordered the aluminum rear cover. I had to do a couple of modifications so that the panhard bar would clear.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
8873509.jpg

You can take some weight off with an aftermarket housing. This is a picture of the Currie billet aluminum in my 57. It's a 9 inch posi with 308 cruising gears.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What engine and trans are you using?

I`m running a fairly stout 09 , TH400 and stock rear with the only mods done are the bearing girdles (from Aubrey) and Dutchman axles and haven`t broke anything , knock on wood !!!

If you are running a auto trans the stock rear should hold up just fine with these mods.
A manual trans is a different story but the set-up Aubrey sells will take a lot of abuse and hold up just fine,,,http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/409chevyracingposirearendparts.html

As far as the 9" causing a car to become a dog is news to me. Something else is going on there that needs to be figured out. ,,,dq

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
aubrey set up

I have the complete Aubrey set up in my wagon. Dual quad 409 with turbo 350 trans. I drag race the car and have not broken anything yet. The car runs high 12's low 13's @ around 107mph.

Thanks guys:bow ...
Of course I think the parts work:coffee:

What I wanted to comment on, was the 9 inch "loss of power" scenario.
It makes perfect sense.
Yes, there's a certain amount of additional weight and resistance because of the extra size. It's not so much that, as it is the angle/position that the pinion comes in contact with the ring gear. Yes, that 3rd support on the pinion gear makes the setup practically indestructable... but how often to you see a pinion gear blown out the side of a housing when being used in a 400-600 HP car ? Botton line, it creates more friction, and takes additional horsepower to spin. Then of course because the pinion yoke is so low in relation to the axle centre line, you run into "difficulties" when setting up ride height and pinion angle.
My opinion, it's just a "can of worms" that need not be gotten into... and by avoiding it, you'll go a little faster:deal

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I run and set up my own 9" Ford rear. richmond 4.56 gears Detroit locker and Mosier axles, bullit proof rear with parts availability always. :cool:

Gus68

Well Known Member
9"

I put a 9" in my 62, I did it all myself only thing I had to order was aftermarket axles. I did this because I broke 4 NONposi!!!! chevy center sections. Too much power??? The car has run a best of 14.54 with a simple 350 and saginaw 4 speed. I went from stock 3.36s to ford 3.70s and noticed an IMPROVEMENT!! Heavy?? yes, but to me that means strength!!! They are everywhere, they are like the smallblock chevy of rear ends, lots of parts available and reasonably priced. Try to go to to the junk yard and look for an old chevy posi center section, if you do I bet it wont be cheap!!! Now go to the same yard and look for a 9" posi center, bet you'll find one in a pickup or something, and the price??? A hell of alot cheaper than the old chevy. Yes the do loose some power from the location of the pinion, but if you want to spend the money, you can buy a center section with chevy 12 bolt gears and carier!!!$$$ AND look at NASCAR, or any other form of racing, ALL 9"s. Oh and by the way I have seen a couple of stock 9" pinions and bearings bust out of the housing, bearing and all. Im all chevy but I am also a car guy and when I see something that works and works well and is cheap, I go for it.

Gravy 62

Here is some info on my car (I should have maybe given this info to start):

'62 Biscayne 2 dr. , Gen 6 ('98 truck motor) 454 with a GM Crate 454 roller cam and springs, Comp Cam 1.72 roller tip rockers, makes ~400 hp.
Muncie wide ratio 4 speed.

This is a street car mainly, might take it to the track with street tires just to see how it runs someday. I plan to drive it like I stole on occasion on the street.

Will the updated factory rear with a posi handle the abuse?

Gravy

Gus68

Well Known Member
rear

With a 4 speed and a big block? Maybe. MAYBE. But not for long. with a 4 speed everything breaks eventually. Unless you drive it nice like an old man then NO. I still think the 9' is the way to go. Price out all of the good stuff for the old chevy rear, good posi, aftermarket axles, billit bearing caps, then price out the same stuff for a 9". Remember a 9" has a 9" ring gear, the old chevy is, what, 7.5? Stock 9"s have either 28 or 31 spline axles, whats the chevy, something like 18 splines?? yes you can update them to more bt then you need different spider gears. You can update an old small chevy rear with lots of money and still ave a smaller rear than a stock 9".

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gravy, Anything will break. Aubreys rear end assembly would be the strongest factory type rear end. It always comes down to money. Aubreys or 12 bolt or Ford 9 in. All expensive, but you know what they say, "You get what you pay for". I will be using the stock stuff because that is all I can afford to pay for. Would love to have the Ford rear end but that aint gonna happen. Good luck with yours...........:)

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
my 2 cents too

Gearhead,

I couldn't have said it any better. You hit it right on the head.

Gravy 62

A few days ago I called Strange Engineering about their aluminum 9 inch 3rd member that uses a 12 bolt Chevy ring and pinion and posi they said "it is not recommended for street use do to the aluminum case distorting under load which will lead to premature ring and pinion wear". My follow up to them was "why don't you make the 12 bolt 3rd member in nodular iron to solve the gear wear problem and make it a street worthy item?" The answer "we considered it but we did not think it was worth the tooling investment since they probably would not sell that many".

That is what I really wanted to use, seemed like the best almost all Chevy choice and would appear sort of stock since it uses the 9 inch third member type housing with 12 bolt internals and 12 bolt 30 spline axles.

Also, the weight of an assembled 3.36 open Chevy third member is 62 lbs.
A bare nodular iron 9 inch third member without pinion support is 33-35 lbs!

Gravy

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
On the cheap

I recommend an Eaton posi, Duchman axles and bearing cap supports. Should be around $1000. A friend of mine runs this in his 57 chevy BB. His bearing supports are old Mr Gasket ones, but modern versions are available from two sources. He has 600+HP with a T400. Had problems with ring and pinion, but has since switched to Richmond Gear and not had a problem. The stock spline axles don't seem to be a problem as Dutchman cuts the splines after hardening and makes the angle and fit more accurate than the factory. You will probably break the driveshaft center bearing spline at or near 600 HP. Better quality for that part is available at Inland Empire.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The complete racing package as shown above... left upper control arm bracket, web kit, steel bearing cap girdles, and the axle / posi upgrade kit.....

$1550.00 Canadian / $1495.00 U.S
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ready to bolt in #ord 9"
$845 - 9" Housing, Axles, Axle Bearings, Wheel Studs, & Retainers
$775 - Center Section (New 31 Spline Posi, New Gears, & New Timken Bearings)

$1620 – TOTAL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 bolt POSI camaro 60" which fits under my 60 1200 - 1300.00 and I still have to put another 30 hours of fab time into it.

If your going to play your going to pay no matter what you go for. Me I am saving my change to send to Canada cause I like what I have seen and keeping the GM faith.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I will say my original 64 Impala that ran low 12s in the 70s had a stock thick gear 4.56 posi and axles and took ALOT of 6000 side steps, but it had an aluminum flywheel and only 9" cheater slicks. Now the thin gear and spacer plate pumpkin was a whole different story.

It also all depends on how sticky the tires are. Regular street radials will be tough to pop one of most types , except those dinky 7.5" 10 bolts in late model F bodies and G bodies.

Close friend with a 340 Challenger broke BOTH axles on a launch at the track in his 8 3/4" before he upgraded to Moser's.

Previous Comp Cam's owner John McWhirter used to break ring gears in his 8.2" 10 bolt stick 67 442 that are similar to our pumpkins in spline count on the gear.

They ALL can break.

Gravy 62

So far it looks like two members have said they have a 9 inch in there car.

Gus68 you went from a 3.36 to a 3.70s, not really a huge gearing difference but you did notice an positive acceleration difference?

fatride you have 4.56 in your 9 inch, what did you start out with?

I hate being so analytical about this but BIG$ take some big thought.

I have loaded a fresh bullet in the camber, another 3.36 open 3rd member. Hopefully I can keep it together so I can cruise out the rest of the season without a problem. I am going to have to drive it like it is the 235/3 speed to make it last.:yawn:

A buddy of mine is selling me a '62 3.08 geared non-P case with an OE type Power Lock posi, and a new bearing set for $200. I will order a new 3.55 (since the 3.70s have a bad rep.), posi clutch kit, and the bearing cap girdles. I will put that in as an upgrade from the open in the near future. I don't know if I will keep it and upgrade to the 30 spline axles or go to a 8 3/4 or 9 inch.

Gravy