Whos still running drum brakes?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've rarely had good luck with drums. My 60 Impala sucked with drums. On the other hand my 65 GTO has drum brakes and they're the bomb. Couldn't tell you the difference? I have a Massey Ferguson 135 UK model with drums, almost killed me more than once. Truth be told it's probably my lack of knowledge that's the problem. 60 Impala has Wilwoods on all four corners now. At the strip a little puff of white smoke and they will haul you down in a hurry. GTO drums will lock up with very little pedal pressure . Over the years a lot of the cars have mismatched brake wheel cylinder bore size with the master cylinder bore size. Need a good "Old" brake guy.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I always run whatever the car or truck came with originally.

Which means I ran drums for 32 years straight.

I get calls from some who want to convert their non-original discs back to drums.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have never put disc brakes on any thing that had drum oruginally.. I can lock up the brakes at will and they are not even power ,so why put disc on. Yeah I know disc won't fade out when used extensively ,but I don't drive that way.Since I have done brakes for 40 years I guess I am experienced enough to get them right.

Last edited:

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My 65 has non power drums all 4 corners, it"ll squat like an old hen if you want it to but I have been thinking about front discs to make peddle pressure a little lighter :scratch

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The 1962 Impala SS has accumulated 12,000 miles with drum/drum but I am considering discs up front on her sometime in the future.

We did replumb for a dual master a long time ago.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I still have drums on all 4 corners. Fronts are hard to keep adjusted and they wear tires. Otherwise they stop the car

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have manual brakes on my 62, disc/drum. Best thing I ever did to the car was front disc brakes.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have power drum brakes on my '62 and would never consider changing them. They stop the car just fine. I'm sure disc brakes are nice, but I haven't seen anything conclusive to say they are better, unless in a lot of stop and go traffic where they might be superior to drum brakes, because of fading. I get involved in little to none of that type of driving, Carmine.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have drums on my 3 Impalas and they do ok don't plan on changing them. If i were into drag racing and i am not i might consider disc, maybe not?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I Don't, drive my 64, that much, when nice weather comes. :rolleyesMaybe a few hundred miles. Being that it spends, most of it's life, in the garage, it goes through constant HOT/COLD cycle's, with high Humidity. That being said, I had many problem's with my brake shoe's, and wheel cylinder's:doh Put the car away, one time. It was stopping OK. Following year, brought it out, and Driver's side shoe, was locked to the drum.:dunno2Finally had enough, and replaced the shoe's, wheel cylinders, brake hardware etc. Took my drums, to my son's old job, and he turned them.:appl Put it all back together, and still did not stop straight.:wtfNothing worse, than driving a car that pulls, when the brakes are applied.:eek3 Bought a Disk Brake set, from 58 Delivery, and I have never regretted it.:appl Mike sells a Great Kit. Thanks Mike.:bow

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man, you guys with drums must live in rural areas. Here around Chicago I would at least want front discs. People drive like morons............and there is a lot of them! I have discs on the drag car with pretty aggressive pads. The bad thing is after 5 runs the wheels are filthy. the good thing is it pulls it down in a hurry. They must take some abuse because the rotors are blue.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
We have drum on the race car.....but it's not that fast.
I would like to upgrade to disc if it didn't add weight to the front of the car.