Why are there is not more intake selection?

58Imp348

All the vintage stuff is small port. What little big port there is....it's new. I like challenges. I used to like Ramblers. But this is pretty ridiculous. I have an nos STR11 rambler intake but nothing comparable in the W's?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It does make you wonder. :rub
Most of the manifolds were designed to fit the small port heads but you'd think it would have been easy enough to come up with large port versions.

The Mickey Thompson cross rams were very good and built to fit the large port engines, but they didn't sell a whole lot of them. That makes them rare and valuable today.
Most of the other manifolds from back in the day weren't all that great anyway, but they did look cool.

At least now we have Aubrey's Speed Port 7000 and the Edelbrock dual plane intakes. Five years ago there was nothing out there.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
My thinking is that, first of all, there were a heck of a lot more 348's with marginal cast iron intakes on the street than 409,s. There was much more demand for the small port aluminum manifolds plus, the large port 409's already had decent manifolds for the day. :rubleo

I like Leo's theory. Perhaps as well, the 348 was introduced ( in much larger numbers ) in the late 1950's, when multiple carbs were still thought to be the hot ticket. By the time the large port 409 made it's stance in the early-mid 1960's, 4 barrel carbs had improved dramatically, and were found to be more effective. As I see it, the more carburetors there are, the less room there is for effective runner length.... unless it gets REALLY exotic, and doesn't fit under a hood.