Why No Spark?

BubbaG

My 63 Impala SS with 409/340hp (42k original miles) was running last fall when I put it in storage for the winter. Started and warmed it up twice during the winter. Tried to take it out for it for it's maiden 2020 run, and it won't start. No spark.

I changed the points, condenser and rotor, checked continuity of the negative wire from the distributor to the coil and the ground wire from the breaker plate to the vacuum housing, and checked the voltage at the positive terminal on the coil -- 12.6V with ignition on, and 10.4V when cranking the starter. Secondary coil wire checked out at 748ohms. Gap on points is set at .019". I see nothing wrong with the distributor cap. Still getting no spark at the coil wire.

What else could cause it not to spark? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Put a test light on the negative coil terminal, crank the engine. The test light should blink. If it does, your points are working and have a good ground, if not start checking for a good ground, bad coil or bad points. I replaced a set of points on a tractor not too long ago, the plastic insulator that the power wire screwed to was bad and grounded out. Took a little bit to find that one.

BubbaG

No spark at the points with the ignition on. I temporarily replaced the coil with an Accel coil off my hot rod, but no spark.

I will do the test light on the negative terminal while cranking.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Do you have a dwell meter? If so hook it up and adjust the points until you get 28 or so degrees when cranking.I've seen cases where the .019 spec is wrong or incorrectly set keeping the points open.These distributors were made to be adjusted to 30 degrees,at idle.