will this crank work?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Right,the springs and valves are to be figured later.Right now,I'd want to make sure that the heads are useable.They might need guides,and or seats,so you can know how much that part will cost.The port work I mentioned is a fairly common procedure and as such shouldnt cost much if you have the machine work done at the machine shop while they rebuild the heads.You'll want the bigger valves,and the springs will be ordered with the cam kit.You could have close to a grand in these things if they need extensive work so best to find out first.:deal

If you need porting done, I'd cotact Dave Mills.High quality, and he won't scalp you. Excellent valve jobs also. His Nova with an 09 runs 9.80's. He may know something. I can get you his contact info. Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Right,the springs and valves are to be figured later.Right now,I'd want to make sure that the heads are useable.They might need guides,and or seats,so you can know how much that part will cost.The port work I mentioned is a fairly common procedure and as such shouldnt cost much if you have the machine work done at the machine shop while they rebuild the heads.You'll want the bigger valves,and the springs will be ordered with the cam kit.You could have close to a grand in these things if they need extensive work so best to find out first.:deal

One other thing. Dave is in NMichigan, not far fron Dertoit. He can help you with cam and sprnigs. I have a bunch of new take out BBC springs that I can sell pretty cheap. Bob

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
i dont want to drive over to detroit to get machine work done, im in west michigan, on lake michigan... and the machine shop i know has been called one of the best in the midwest

as for the springs, they will come in the kit with the cam and lifters, so i should be set there

and don... no PLAN, just trying to keep costs down. i never came up with a number. numbers change all the time for me anyways. just going to take it as it comes to me...

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
well, i called two machine shops. the one i planned to go to, wouldnt tell me any prices over the phone. they said that they couldnt even give me a guesstimate... weird, cause theyve always told me prices over the phone. they said when i bring them in, they would be able to tell me... :dunno

the other shop i called is one a few friends recommended, i told him i need the head crack checked and CC'd, he said 35 bucks for crack check and 30 bucks for measuring, and those prices are for the pair
and i told them the block needs bored honed decked etc. and he said 350 bucks and it will be ready to build on... sounds good to me compared to 700 bucks!:beerbang
it would be hilarious if it cost 402 bucks total! (it wont, but its a cool thought!)

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
the first one was Varneys automotive on apple ave. in muskegon
the other is Northwestern auto/machine on mill iron rd. in muskegon
you near me?

jr.W

Well Known Member
About half hour south of you.
If you can't find a good shop go to G&G in zeeland.
He is a racer Ive been using him for about 20 yrs.
He has a cool 7 sec. dragster with a
572 bbc with a t-ram and 2 1050's.

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
im taking my stuff to northwestern, hopefully today (at least the heads) but thanks, i will keep them on the list:deal

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
OK,
i dropped my heads off at the machine shop
we got to talkin about what im doin with the build, they said that at 402 cubes, i cant run 2.19/1.88 valves because of clearance issues?:doh

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What is the largest size they suggest? The smaller valves will pick up your bottom end to lower mid range,you'll just lose a little up top.where you almost never run a street engine anyway.The port work on the exhaust side would be on the same oder,just on aa smaller scale.480-500 hp.is still very do-able.500 ft.lbs is no problem.

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
well after all the talking on here i was all hyped up to be well over 500 of both hp and torque
they didnt suggest any sizes yet, they are crack checking, CC'ing, and tearing down the valves/springs cause i was too weak to :yawn:

i could always bore the block out... i was hoping to be at 402, but for all i know it could already be bigger, i wont know until i drop that heavy thing off there
i should hear back about the heads tomorrow:deal

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
will a 12 bolt rear end out of a gm A-body (supposedly a chevelle) fit under my camaro? is it too wide? guy says its from a chevelle, but he said chevelles had coils instead of leafs... :?:dunno
either way i can weld spring perches on.. it may be a good deal

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I could be wrong here,but I think it would be too wide.If the price is right,it'd make good trading material toward parts you need for your build.

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
I could be wrong here,but I think it would be too wide.If the price is right,it'd make good trading material toward parts you need for your build.

if i read his response right, probably 100 bucks.. i guess its complete, unknown ratio... he has acres of old cars and trucks (mostly gm 50-70s) hes across the state from me but i thought about a road trip with my wife or my friend.. he has a couple impalas (no 409s) and a couple corvairs, i godda check on the corvairs for a friend at work

Bugsy

If the rear is out of a chevelle (which is identified by two ears on top of the center section) it will fit great. I have used them under one like yours as well as my 64 Impala. Bugsy

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If the rear is out of a chevelle (which is identified by two ears on top of the center section) it will fit great. I have used them under one like yours as well as my 64 Impala. Bugsy

The old(64-65] where narrower. The price is great, but I agrre about trading for other parts. Maybe you can trade for a Nova/Camaro rear. The Chevelle is a good choice for an X-frame. Make your life easier. Bob

Bugsy

Bob, I was always told that 64 - 65 were narrower but i thought the 66-67 were narrower than the 68 - 72s to does anyone know how much wider? I swapped 12bolts out of a 65 and a 66 with no issues.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob, I was always told that 64 - 65 were narrower but i thought the 66-67 were narrower than the 68 - 72s to does anyone know how much wider? I swapped 12bolts out of a 65 and a 66 with no issues.

That's another bit of info I'm starting to forget since I haven't used it lately.I'm sure the info is out there on the internet. Not sure if thwere were 3 widths or 2.
He will want a stronger rear for sure. I always seem to run into the Camaro rears when I need a Chevelle. Bob