will this crank work?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It seems that I was told that the 64-67 were the same width,and the 68-72 were about 1 inch wider per side.At the time,I was doing my 78 Malibu,and was told that the 64 thru 67 was the correct width for my car.I couldnt find one,so I went with a 68 12 bolt I found and used it.:dunno

Bugsy

Thats the same thing i heard. I put the rear out of the 66 I had and put in the 65 i have and the tires are dead center in the wheel house.

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
machine shop called:
the heads have 113cc chambers
no cracks
but they are warped, he said they will need to be resurfaced
they need exhaust valve guides
and probably hardened seats (exhaust only) because they are an earlier head
:doh
are they still worth building off of? ive got 100 bucks into them so far
im headed up to pick them up, im gunna ask about the 2.19/1.88 valves and the clearance issues...:pray

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With new valves,guides,exhaust seats,milling,and the minor port work,you'll likely be in the 700-800 dollar range for these heads.The question is what can you buy thats any better for that money or less thats any better.:?

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
ive got 100 into them, and he said the guides, seats, and resurfacing would be another 425 bucks. that will put me at 525. the block will be another 500 and be bored, honed, decked, new freeze plugs & bearings. at 500 bucks the block will be totally ready for assembly

ive seen bbc heads already up'd to 2.19/1.88 ready to run in the 500 dollar range...
region rat pm'd me and mentioned he possibly had some heads, i forgot to ask him what hes got

but ill have about 1,000 into the block and heads and be ready to assemble (he will set the heads up for the bigger valves, but the valvetrain isnt included in the price, which is fine

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well if it were me,I'd get the heads from Bob[region rat].I feel that anything from him,rather than e-bay would be much more trust worthy.:deal Thier idea of "ready to run"could be drasticly different from reaility.Bob,on the other hand,can set the heads up exactly as you need them for your intended cam.With a flat tappet cam ,this is no place to cut corners,or settle for good enough,unless you LIKE getting bitten in the butt.:bang:roll

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
found two sets of heads on craigslist.

1: 1979 454 heads, crank, intake, power steering pump ,oil pan and other misc parts
100.00 takes all.
unknown casting numbers or condition as of now

2: 3917215 heads 67-69 396/427 i believe according to my info they are a 100.9 cc chamber for 350 bucks look complete, i only saw one rocker but it was a roller tip rocker

:? maybe a good deal in there somewhere?

Bugsy

my opinion which is my opinion is to get the 67 -69 heads w/ rockers they should be a closed chambered easier to get the compression up even with a flat top piston.

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
yeah i fixed it shortly after i posted, for some reason it had extra http// and stuff in it:dunno thanks though

Bugsy

I have a set of those heads on a 454 in my wifes chevelle. the only differance is i used pistons with .100 domes.

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
ive been emailing back and forth with bob (walla) and hes been extremely nice and helpful, just as id expect from somebody i met here on 348-409.com! you guys are all awesome!
anyways, hes looking around for heads, he has found some oval port closed chambers (i asked about the casting number, which may give me an idea of CC)
he says he has tons of GM take-off springs that might work
and he said he is a dealer of crane cams so he can get them direct, so he asked if i had any plans for a cam yet, i had mentioned the 274-320 duration and the .600 lift as you guys had previously recommended :?

:bow you guys are the best! I would be absolutely lost without you guys taking time out of your days to help some kid you dont even know with his project, I am extremely lucky to have the privilege to know all of you! :beerbang:bow
thanks guys!
i guess when i finish the car im going to have to drive all over the country shaking your hands:D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As a young man,I was blessed with people who taught/helped me.I'm glad to pass it along.Don

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
These appear to be vac.secondary carbs,and if so are very tunable.Not a bad price on that set-up.

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
thats what i was thinking (you know, the price!):beerbang its still alot for right this second, but it looks like they been for sale for a little while so maybe they will last until i can get my hands on them:crazy