Windshield and Back Window Install

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can someone tell me what all clips I need to have my windshield and back glass installed? I have the windshield clips. Do I need the reveal molding clips also. Also I have a series of holes on the lower portion of the windshield opening is this where I put the windshield clips? If so, any idea how many?

I have assembly manual and shop manual but no pictures or explanation where things go. It has been about eight years since I took it all apart and the memory fails me.

Thanks in Advance
Ed

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Do you have a 62-64 Hardtop ? The comments are for 2 door Hardtops
No clips on the lower windshield and the sides - just reveal molding clips on the top of the windshield.
The windshield rubber is pulled over the side and lower lip with a rope.

The rear glass has reveal molding clips on the top and sides. The lower chrome also has reveal molding clips(the chrome has slide in clips to match up with the reveal molding clips.
Paul

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul
You are correct 2 door hardtop. Are the clips I use for the windshield the same as the ones for the rear window? Also what are the series of holes below the pinch weld on the front?

Thanks again
Ed

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
They are sold separately.
I think I have a extra set of originals and repros to compare. I recall they are slightly different.
I have some pictures of the rear ones still in place on my hardtop when I took it apart, if you need the locations...
Paul

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul
You are correct 2 door hardtop. Are the clips I use for the windshield the same as the ones for the rear window? Also what are the series of holes below the pinch weld on the front?

Thanks again
Ed
The lower windshield trim clips use a screw to attach them to the cowl or the area below the pinch weld(at least on a '62-'64).

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul
If you have time to compare the clips and send pictures that would be great. I am totally baffled as to where they go. So there also a chance that the front and rear clips are different. Boy, I am batting a 1000.

Thanks again
Ed

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul
I do have a hole on the back piece below the bottom curve on both sides that would hold the lower corners. But what holds the chrome the rest of the way around the window. Do I need different clips? I know that I am a PIA but I just lack the knowledge.

Thanks
Ed

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Give me a little time I will send you the info
The two curved pieces from the back window around to the rear 1/4 glass have clips that go in the back seat area and one
in the trunk.

The screws below the front windshield just hold clips to the cowl that hold the chrome trim around the lower windshield.
This chrome trim goes on after the windshield is installed. This also applys to Hardtops and convertibles 61-64
They are separate clips holding the chrome trim with philips screws. I am about to install the chrome with the slide on clips - on my convertible and have done so on 3 Hardtops.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Good article.

The clips pictured for the front glass & the article are for 63/64 - the front windshield trim slide on clips and end clips for the windshield trim for 62 are different.
Also they do not show a picture of the curved chrome installation around the painted portion of the Hardtop. There are three studs for each side - 4 inside by the package tray and 2 in the trunk vertically.
I have that curved chrome -with the 6 clips mounted- laid out for pictures and front lower windshield trim (as its pictured in the article) -except 62 front lower slide on clips are different and they do not show all of them in their picture.

I have a drawing of the original reveal molding clips removed from my 62 Impala Hardtop. The factory top of windshield had 9 reveal molding clips about 7" apart with the two outside ones only 2" from the end. The factory back glass had 6 top and 4 side reveal molding clips( 2 per side) and I think 5 more on the bottom. Two more reveal molding clips added than factory just before the curve in the vertical trim would be a good add.

The front a rear reveal molding clips are different length. I just got out two new reveal molding sets(for the windshield and back glass) and they are different (the fronts are smaller in length than the rear clips - vertically)

As I said the sets are sold separately when I have bought them. The article even shows two different part numbers for the reveal molding clips. Since its a Late Great Article by Randy Irwin its a good article just missing all the items(the curved chrome complete attachment) and the differences for 62 Impala.

The article also does not talk about these items:
You also have to install the top of the Rear 1/4 reveal molding (with the rubber seal on it) (by the 1/4 glass ) to fit it to the two Hardtop curved pieces -the curved piece(the end of it) is placed over the ends of the curved chrome. Finally if you had your drip rail molding removed to paint the car/and/or polish it -the drip rail molding comes with 1/8" of the reveal molding by the glass/and the curved chrome. I installed the drip rail molding and had to remove and reinstall it to get all three chrome pieces to fit (the 2nd Hardtop I did I did not make this error).

Paul

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't see any mention of water sealant [caulking] around the windshield or rear glass.The old factory caulking is good stuff and they put a lot in there which make the moldings stick to it and a little hard to pull out,and putting them back on without sealant is not that hard but when you put new sealant in the opening which you have to do unless you car will be inside all the time it take a little effort to sink it down into the calking and engage the clips.The moldings are stainless but easily bent.I have been using a combination of 3m strip caulking and CRL windshield sealant.

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul
I have two sets of clips for the window and back glass. I compared them all and they seem to be the same size. I placed them 7" apart as you had said. I also took time and sorted out my moldings. I just hope they fit. Rubbers showed up and glass install will be next week.

Thanks
Ed

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Do you have the clips for the curved back window chrome trim that runs from the 1/4 panel window to the back glass.
Do you need pictures of the slide in clips mounted on chrome ?
I have the different length reveal molding clips laid out for the windshield and back glass. All my Hardtops are assembled, is there a difference in depth from the painted top edge to the to the 90 degree bend for the clips on your Hardtop.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11

I have made this statement before.

I have done at least 5 Hardtops and 3 convertibles. None of them have liquid type windshield sealant.
I just have 3M strip caulk on the back side of the rubber. I have disassembled at least 10 - 60's Impalas none of them had liquid sealer just the gray 3M stlye caulk -lots of it.

My 40+ year professional glass windshield installer "who did my 60's cars" did not use sealer. He had done multiple 100's of windshields on 60's Hardtops/convertibles (they did not come with sealer -"as he stated - Just add the strip caulk".
I recently had a younger Professional installer do one Hardtop and one Convertible windshield, for me. He agreed the windshields did not use sealer and should not need it (he also learned from from a long time windshield installer from the 50's,60's.).

Paul

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, have been on vacation. I now have all the clips sorted out and in place. The installer is due tomorrow afternoon.
If I understand the post above no sealer just a bead of 3M strip caulk. I will let you know how it works out. I thank you once again for the good information. If it would not be for people like you us novices would be lost.
Thanks
Ed

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes that is correct, in fact our Body shop guy who has been restoring GM classic cars late 50s to 70's for 25 years said the same thing on
the 3M strip caulk, no sealer- the lip for the weatherstrip does the job and the strip caulk. He restored about 20 GTO's Pontiac's and Chevys for a local owner of 100 classic cars in the body shop he ran and
now does it on his own - probably did 20 + cars in the last 5 years, including just finishing a joint frame off 62 SS 409 convertible for my friend and I as a joint restoration.
I had my glass installer install the chrome stainless trim after the windshields were installed.
Paul

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Paul, I got the templates (mailed) for the 409 emblems and floor shift hole. The emblems worked great, look good on. I have not done the floor yet, about a month away. I will follow along on this thread because I too have to install both front/rear glass. The good thing is the person that took it apart bagged everything and labeled the items also. I downloaded the PDF above and will take a look at it in time. It looks like they lumped all 59-64 installs as one in the PDF, its nice to know there are differences on the '62's. Thanks again for help on the emblems/shift hole.

Ken......

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Paul, working on my windows (frt+rear) which caulk should I use, roll or strip? I think its the 1 foot strip caulk but not sure. Thanks....3m_roll.jpg 3m_strip.jpg