Wiring 64 Impala for HEI

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
The wire is fine to us as long as you eliminate the resistance feed wire. Usually white with red and black spots on it. Kinda looks like cloth instead of wire insulation. Inline under the hood before the coil. You'll have to peal back the tape to access the wire.

427John

Well Known Member
I've already removed the resistor wire from the underhood harness at the bulkhead connector by unpinning it I plan to install the HEI wire by installing the correct pin and putting back into the bulkhead connector. Your right the resistor wire was white cloth looking insulation and the wire itself was a steel colored wire instead of copper.Once I verify the ignition switch to be the right type and bury the purple wire I should be good to go right?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes. I never changed any switch's on three hei conversions that I did, no need to unless switch is worn out.

427John

Well Known Member
Speaking of the terminal for the bukhead connector anybody know it any parts stores would have those or another source? I think that they are called packard 56 terminals but places I asked about them doesn't seem to have a clue or maybe I'm using the wrong name for them.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Speaking of the terminal for the bukhead connector anybody know it any parts stores would have those or another source? I think that they are called packard 56 terminals but places I asked about them doesn't seem to have a clue or maybe I'm using the wrong name for them.
Ask American Autowire they make and sell original wiring harnesses