Working with copper

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Years back a wildfire destroyed a friend of mines house. From it they pulled out two copper sinks and have since given them to me. Both are warped and the outer flange is squished flat against the bowl in a few places. Has anyone worked on something like this? It would be easy if it was steel.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Going off experience silver and seal flossing copper pipe I'd say #1 if you use any heat dont quench it. If you can bend areas without heat do that. Areas that you do need heat keep the flame away from the copper. Let the convective heat heat the copper not the radiant.

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
That’s basically what I was thinking, but am definitely worried about the hard creases on the lips. There is already a 1/8” crack in one spot. I’m hoping to be able to save them and use them in our new building we are going to put up this summer.

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
I thought about trying to figure out the shape that the outer edge is supposed to be and then cutting a plywood jig to work against. They are so egg shaped though....

wristpin

Well Known Member
I thought about trying to figure out the shape that the outer edge is supposed to be and then cutting a plywood jig to work against. They are so egg shaped though....
If it cracks maybe solder it from the bottom for strength. To strengthen possible weak areas perhaps soldering length of proper sized pipe cut length wise in cresent shape might help