Worst GM Car,,

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,, so I`ve had the flu for the last week and still going to work every day then coming home and going to bed.
Funny what you think about when you are so bored you count the pin holes in the wall,,,:doh

So,, what do you think the worst car GM built is?

I know some will say the Vega.
I myself owned a GT and really liked it.:eek:
OK,, so it drove nice,, looked nice for what it was.
The engine was the big draw back but it was fun to drive and was sporty for the time period.

My NUMBER ONE vote would be the Chevette!!

Biggest pile-O-crap to ever come out of Detroit !!!

My parents bought one new and and I can`t think of one good feature the car had.
It was a coupe and an automatic !! You could walk faster then it would go.
It was designed so bad that the steering wheel was off center and tilted to the center of the car!
My girl friend at the time had a Corvette and someone stole the T-tops so my mom loaned her the Chevette.
Heeee heeeee she brought it back the next day !!!!!:roll :roll

OK,, whats your vote???

Well DQ, I hear you on the Chevette. My mother had the same basic car, and she too, just hated it.

For myself however, front wheel drive still trumps the Chevette.
Many to choose from here. I think I'd have to say...
A Chevy Citation with the base 4 cylinder.
Then again, there's that absolutely vulgar Cadillac Seville... you know... the one where it looks like a truck tried to drive up over the rear of the car:?

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I always liked the Vega. To me it looked like a mini camaro. Some guys used to drop in small blocks. :eek:

Worst Cars??? It was only AFTER I got rid of the car (Not a GM) I happened to borrow a "Consumer Reports" book from the library, and saw that one of the cars I had was actually listed under "Worst Used Cars to Buy". :takethat Everything they said would go wrong...did..

....except..... that it also started on fire....all by itself.

Ron

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes Chevette and Citation are at the top of the list. A Luv truck is close but still a distant third compared to those first two. I have to admit though, I have no love for any 4 door post car.

Older than that, Doc:deal .... 1917-1919 "Model D". Avalable in a touring and sedan. CERTAINLY does not qualify as worst GM though. It was actually overhead valve, some 283 or 287? cubic inches. Quite amazing actually. But it was expensive, and it didn't survive.

Gee, yeah, there's worst GM... and there's ugliest. Not neccessarilly one in the same though.
Agreed, the A$$tec has to be the most disgusting thing every done by GM. Then again, I find an Avalanche to be a close second.

Vega's ?
I like 'em:p ... especially the first couple years.

doc396

Well Known Member
wow! off on that guess. ok i'll go for the ugliest. (another guess) early 80's olds cutless. the ones that looked like the box a car came in.:dunno doc

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Right behind the Citation and Chevette I would vote for the Cadillac Cimmiron. What a waste of GM time and money since it was supposed to compete with European sport sedans.:roll

Paul

oil4kids

Well Known Member
I guess you never owned a Cosworth Vega, would have been a great car with modern electronics, high compression, and some kind of antirust added to the metal,

I still have some of the car you know, rust spots all over my moms cement driveway from the Vega

wc chevys

Well Known Member
OK leave the vegas alone, I drove one right after school it was a iron duke 4 banger 4 speed it ran its azz of for what it was and it would'nt give up it was handed down to one of my brothers who then rolled it .We beat the top out replaced the windsheild and sold it for a couple hundred dollars and it was around for several years.Sorry got of track, Aztec is uglyest,but worst geo metro not really GM but they did carry a bowtie emblem

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
worst GM engine?
the cadillac 4200 V-8 i could be wrong on the number, but the one with the aluminum block, iron heads, cylinder liners and coolant leak problems.
in the day, we saw this engine at the GM training facility in fairfax, va. it sure was cool looking. but turned out to be a major headache for the general.

i worked for Malcolm Durham when vega's were new. the major problem was the aluminum cylinder bore and iron coated pistons. we machined for iron liners and then the cars would go 1/2 million miles. and vegas are cool looking.

Ugliest GM? thats strictly personal opinion. imagine every lime green mopar or woodsided pacer you ever saw........it got bought by somebody. my opinion? i have to agree AZTEC,

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was surprised that the Vega was even considered; I was one of the many that had one, and I really liked it after I got the original cracked head replaced. I'd buy one today if it was nice enough.

I think in retrospect the Corvair was made a scapegoat also. I had a friend that had the 140hp one and he couldn't kill it. I think both of these cars had decent styling and could have evolved if the engineering issues had been quickly dealt with by GM. To me, they still are better than the FWD junk.

Just my .02.

dc

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
I had 63 Corvair with its belt throwin' gas suckin' tires tucking under drivetrain and with it's wet dogfart heater. Biggest pile o'sh*t I ever had!:evil