Worst GM Car,,

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Ed .... you shouldn't "SUGAR COAT" your feelings about the Corvair !!:roll :roll

I worked on a plenty of them when the were pretty new / Needed some of today sealing technology on the pushrod tube seals ! Weren't really that bad , same w/ the Vega. :dunno

Worst pile of "crap " GM has made in my opinion is the technologly challenged ,over priced , overrated 4.6 liter Northstar Cadillac engine :evil :evil With today's advanced engineering & materials i can not figure how this t*$d could have been produced !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugliest is a toss up between that 80 something Olds Cutlass & the Aztec

JMHO

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
mid 80's nova with the toyota tail lights

mid 80's caddy made from a cavalier. name?

I had a 80 citation X-11; fun, 64 corvair; not as much, still want a vega

Norm

Well Known Member
LOVED my Corvair

Had A '62 Corvair--4 Spd. LOVED IT. Used to drag race it all the time. Put tach in & dumped the clutch at 4000 RPM, SHIFTED AT 5000. dumping clutch at 4000 would break traction briefly, eliminating bogging down. It was quite a launch. At drag strip in morning practice, I often got paired up with Ford 427's & could beat them in low & second gear. After that they would pass me like I was standing still. Sure got attention for a few seconds though. Also had a top speed of 115 MPH, which surprised a few people. And even through this abuse, I'd get 27 to 29 MPG. If Nader hadn't got involved, they might still be making them. And interestingly, the rear suspension was same as VW bug, but Nader didn't pick on them. Had a lot of fun with mine...

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Even though I rolled mine over I still thought the car was pretty good all around. It wasn't the cars fault it rolled, belive me :beerbang

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Even though I rolled mine over I still thought the car was pretty good all around. It wasn't the cars fault it rolled, belive me :beerbang

Ray.... I guess you mean like I tried to make a 69 Torino 428 SJ fly but hello.....They don't fly:eek:
robert

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Had A '62 Corvair--4 Spd. LOVED IT. Used to drag race it all the time. Put tach in & dumped the clutch at 4000 RPM, SHIFTED AT 5000. dumping clutch at 4000 would break traction briefly, eliminating bogging down. It was quite a launch. At drag strip in morning practice, I often got paired up with Ford 427's & could beat them in low & second gear. After that they would pass me like I was standing still. Sure got attention for a few seconds though. Also had a top speed of 115 MPH, which surprised a few people. And even through this abuse, I'd get 27 to 29 MPG. If Nader hadn't got involved, they might still be making them. And interestingly, the rear suspension was same as VW bug, but Nader didn't pick on them. Had a lot of fun with mine...

Mine wouldn't do 115 if you drove it off a cliff.Got 11 mpg after the chevy dealer synchronized the carbs. Mine was a powerglide.I would back it into a pea gravel parking lot and do a neutral drop....would not move a single pebble. All my buddies were doing burnouts with their mighty 283's 318'S and ford 223 sixes. Maybe it was my imagination but I thought I heard it howling at the moon one night, being the dog that it was. A snowplow ran into it one day and put it out of my misery. Rust in peace :roll

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
From my point of view the Pontiac Fiero was one of GM's worst cars. A friend of mine was burned alive in one. GM had several lawsuits due to engine fires.

The GM X-cars which included the Chevrolet Citation were some of the worst.

It is hard to understand how a company that designed/built one of the best engines in the world----the small block Chevy, could design and build a piece a crap like the Vega engine.

A Corvair quicker than a 427 Ford in first and second gear? I thought this was a serious thread.

Rick

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"A Corvair quicker than a 427 Ford in first and second gear? I thought this was a serious thread."

Rick.....I don't know, I remember witnessing a race between a '66 Volkswagon bug and a '66 GTO. The guy with the Volkswagon bet the guy in the GTO that he could outrun him for 20 feet and he did. The GTO was a tri-power 4 speed. The guy in the Volkswagon must have been turning 3 or 4 k RPM's, dumped the clutch and the damn thing jumped 20 feet while the GTO set there with the tires smoking. The old boy with the GTO never lived that down.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
"A Corvair quicker than a 427 Ford in first and second gear? I thought this was a serious thread."

Rick.....I don't know, I remember witnessing a race between a '66 Volkswagon bug and a '66 GTO. .

I know of several VW`s around here that I would never race !!
Full out bad A** V dubs !!!
One runs mid to low tens !!!:deal

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know of several VW`s around here that I would never race !!
Full out bad A** V dubs !!!
One runs mid to low tens !!!:deal

The few I have seen look cool as hell too. Nothing like seeing a VW pull a wheel stand! At 1800 lbs it doesn't take a whole lot of horsepower but the VW engines don't seem to stay in 1 piece for too long!