Worst paint ever

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Don said the thread was worthless without pics but I didn't want to hijack James day at Mo-Kan, so here they are. I've sanded and prepped the 63 every day of every weekend since Deb started working weekends at the park service. This was the one; I spent most of Saturday taping, then cleaned the whole car with vinegar and alcohol. Sunday, I started about 7 mixing paint. It was supposed to be one more coat of white to get everything the same color, then a tack coat of clear, then a coat of white pearl, then the top clear. First off, I couldn't get my gun to spray a decent pattern. This is the same Snap-on gun I've used since 1989; I messed with it while I sprayed a couple of coats and kept getting dry spray on top. Do you know how hard it is for a little guy like me to reach the middle of the top of a 63 Impala?
I gave up on the gun and tried a gravity feed HVLP, it was worse. I went outside and messed with the first gun some more and finally got it right. By now I had all the white on the car and it looked pretty good except for the dry on top.
Here is where I got the bright idea to use scotch brite to knock the rough stuff off; I thought it worked great. I had the top smooth in a few minutes. I thought about blowing the dust off but I was afraid it would blow the tape loose, so I went over it real good with a tack rag.
I started to lay the tack coat of clear. Remember I said I had the gun adjusted to shoot a good pattern? It was a good heavy pattern. It looked ok until I walked back around and found runs on every panel. On the top surface of the drivers door and rear quarter, I found where all the dust from the scotch- brite went, right in the clear.
I was a little smarter than I have been in the past and stopped right there. I thought about drinking the rest of the clear but went to liquor store and bought beer instead.
I hope the pictures tell the true horror of what I went through, it has been quite traumatic.

Attachments

• 63 Paint 001.JPG
    63 Paint 001.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 63 Paint 002.JPG
    63 Paint 002.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 246
  • 63 Paint 003.JPG
    63 Paint 003.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 63 Paint 004.JPG
    63 Paint 004.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 242
  • 63 Paint 005.JPG
    63 Paint 005.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 63 Paint 007.JPG
    63 Paint 007.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 63 Paint 006.JPG
    63 Paint 006.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 190

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The bad thing is, the two worst paint jobs I've ever had have both been on this car. I'll sand the clear down again this weekend and do it again. The good news is that my paint booth worked as advertised, the only dust is what I put there.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sanding down the clear does take out a lot of mistake"s as I had a 6 inch run also ,but got it out.just create"s more work when you can"t get it to lay down right.I know what you mean some vehicle"s you alway"s have more trouble with than other"s.hope you have better luck !!!!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mearl:

Ouch, that sucks! I know the preparation process well, but I just did single stage so that made it easier.

I've never shot clear (yet) and now I think I know why...

I'm sure with a ton of elbow grease you can get that to lay down flat :) :) :).

Cheers!

TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That's a drag. :mad4
Oh well, I guess to look at the bright side, this gives you a chance to look things over and address any little flaws before you re-paint.

I tend to get mixed results when I paint but I think it's like you mentioned, if you can't get the gun to spray right, it's hard to get a nice finish.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Shot my roof separate by itself and I am 5" 11"" tall. I had 2by 12 board on both side"s of car about a foot off ground.As I shot the roof and shot clear along side"s I was getting some trash next to drip rail.I could hardy believe it as I blew every thing off wipe roof several time"s.washed floor"s with soap and water.wiped down air hose wiped down garage wall"s.I was ticked . Finally figured out I had base coat paint sprayed on plastic next to drip rial to cover window"s. When I applied the clear I moved powder from plasic sheet"s on to and in clear.I used platic sheeting from wall mart. Thet make a sheeting at automotive store"s that paint will adhere to for automotive painting.I was able to wet sand it out as I wet sanded the whole car anyway.you learn the hard way a lot of time"s what to do and what not to do.

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That sucks Mearl. Sorry to hear it happened. I think that is why I have never ventured into paint. So many hours of prep, etc., then to lay the paint or clear and have to restart all over, and that is after stripping or sanding all the stuff off to start over again:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes Your a better man than me. I would have probably walked into the house, grabbed a bottle of JD, or Crown Royal, got one of my guns, went back out, shot it a few times, and then put it out on the street with a for sale sign on it. That is why I admire people like you who are willing to do the few area's I don't. I hope things go better for you.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Merl you need to talk to Bob, he might have some tips.

You are not going to like the next bit, just rubbing back the clear is not going to fix it, you are going to have to rub/block that paint back to smooth again.

You may have done this, I always practice my spray pattern and material load on my garage door prior to shooting it on prepared panels, this will show what probability of dry or wet loads.

Keep your chin up, I am sure it will get there.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Merl you need to talk to Bob, he might have some tips.

You are not going to like the next bit, just rubbing back the clear is not going to fix it, you are going to have to rub/block that paint back to smooth again.

You may have done this, I always practice my spray pattern and material load on my garage door prior to shooting it on prepared panels, this will show what probability of dry or wet loads.

Keep your chin up, I am sure it will get there.
Can we see your garage door!!!!!!!!:haha:haha:haha

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I actually hung a big piece of cardboard on the outside of my booth and checked the pattern. I knew it wasn't right but thought I could compensate for it.
I also tried masking with plastic once several years ago and blew dust into the paint.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's really too bad about the paint Mearl. I have had a few issues when painting in the past. I've had to repaint a car or two over the years. One good thing that I found is after block sanding out all of the imperfections, the second time it always comes out better than I could have hoped for. Although I have never done this, I have contemplated painting a car with a coat or two of color then wet sanding and then painting the final coats.

bobs409

Administrator
Even body shops have to "re-do" sometimes, it happens to everyone. I had a few "coat hangers" that I had to sand out on the 63. The drip rail area is murder! You can't get paint down in there without applying too much on the roof. :irk

Although I have never done this, I have contemplated painting a car with a coat or two of color then wet sanding and then painting the final coats.

It's amazing what paint will show ya. If you want a laser straight car, the paint/repaint idea would be just the thing. :)

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I painted a 32 Roadster back in 2002. using Acrylic Lacquer

First seven top coats straight black, next 4 coats 75% black 25% clear, next 4 coats 50-50, final 6 coats 25% black 75% clear.

let the paint cure for close to 12 months then rub it back and polished it, the depth in the paint job was outstanding, when I painted my 38 I didn't mix it I went for straight colour, next car I paint I will be going back to the mixing colour with clear.

Don I will get a picture of my garage door. :)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well that just sucks...:furious All the time spent for prep and it goes to hell is just a few short minutes...:gaah I hate it when that happens... I will have to agree with Jim though the second time around it will go much better and in the end I am sure it will look great. Good luck.

bobs409

Administrator
That's life! It happens, keep smilin'. :D Seriously, don't let things like this get you down. You learn from your mistakes. (or at least we all should)

Enough of that BS. :teehee

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I painted a 32 Roadster back in 2002. using Acrylic Lacquer

First seven top coats straight black, next 4 coats 75% black 25% clear, next 4 coats 50-50, final 6 coats 25% black 75% clear.

let the paint cure for close to 12 months then rub it back and polished it, the depth in the paint job was outstanding, when I painted my 38 I didn't mix it I went for straight colour, next car I paint I will be going back to the mixing colour with clear.

Don I will get a picture of my garage door. :)
Grub...............I never heard of going to this extent to get a beautiful paint job!!!!! I commend you on your patience. Bet that sucker shined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:appl:appl:appl