Would this be "Old School"???

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I didn't see anything new on this racecar, new meaning bought new in the last twenty years.
Pic803.jpg

Pic804.jpg

Pic805.jpg

uncleo

Well Known Member
Greetings from Long Branch NJ,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time U.S. summer capital....''old school''? .... I 'm old but I am glad that I didn't go to that school !....seriously though it brings back memories....don't know if I would smile or shake my head if I happened to see it in person....probably smile....a little....
LEE-WRAT-FM at the Jersey Shore

uncleo

Well Known Member
Greetings from Long Branch NJ,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time U.S. summer capital....''old school''? .... I 'm old but I am glad that I didn't go to that school !....seriously though it brings back memories....don't know if I would smile or shake my head if I happened to see it in person....probably smile....a little....
LEE-WRAT-FM at the Jersey Shore

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That car has to take the "best rat rod" trophy !!!!!!

Dave

Dave if you want to see some RAT rods I'll take some shots of some cars that will make that car look cherry mint at the rat fest coming up next month:brow As far as being old school :scratch I dont know kinda, sorta, hope not, could be:scratch Ken

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
What are you talking about Kenny?:eek: You probably designed that thing at the Ti**y bar on a napkin one night back in the day. :cheers:beerbang lDon't you remember ?:doh:scratch:cheers

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is that were that napkin went:doh maybe I made an air plane out of it:scratch Ah lost in the clev:eek:ge

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Almost, but loses out due to modern gauges.

Also looks like an MSD on the firewall? :doh

Drop those items and I would accept it as "Old School", it reminds me of a lot of the rods some of the local outlaws used to run when I was much younger.
Go-Fast parts were all that really mattered, everything else was secondary.

Back when people really did race for pinks, without a TV crew on hand.

From my perspective "Rat-Rod" is a recent creation to excuse asking lots of money for poorly done and incomplete cars. (Cue the Beach Boys "Schlock Rod") :roll

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Rat Rod roots

Richard mentions: "From my perspective "Rat-Rod" is a recent creation to excuse asking lots of money for poorly done and incomplete cars. "

Unfortunately you might be right there, but it doesn't have to be that way. We have a local "Rat Rod" club here in Columbia, mostly made up of guys who own shops and such. They accumulate lots of cast off parts from customers, and have tons of stuff laying around the corners of their shops. And they frequent swap meets and pick up interesting parts on the cheap. Sometimes these come together in a vehicle, and the results are interesting.

Generally speaking, these are not "shiny cars", as the original "patina" is preferred, and if painted, they are flat black and rough underneath (patches, welds not ground down, etc.) The focus is generally on the drivetrain and not the interior or exterior. Horse blankets are a common interior upgrade :). Almost every car has gone through stages of fabrication done by hand.

Me, I prefer shiny cars, but am a Club member, so I have a intermediate project that is acceptable to the group. It's the 1961 Bonneville. I am trying to resist painting it shiny, and am trying to focus on drive train issues. Not much fabrication other than motor mounts and such. It will look mostly stock.

The other cars in the Club include a 1959 Olds, a 1948 Nash, a composite car made of a 30s Ford body with a 283 drivetrain, and a military truck with a cab over. The group is building a team project out of a spare chassis and some wheels and axles, parts unknown. Rather eclectic group of stuff, and a lot of fun. We have meetings every month, but we mostly drink beer and shoot the breeze. Good group of guys, we all have other projects going, but this is different.

Cheers!
TomK

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most of the rat rod guys you will find and talk to will tell you that they have built the car just the way they wanted to. To try and go back to a day long ago when they first started fooling around with car and didn't have much or no money to buy any fancy stuff. And basicly built the car with what was laying around and what they could scroung up. And although I couldn't build a car with rust and rot on it I can totally identify with the idea because Iv'e been there done that way back when long ago:D Ken

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Ken, You were the one that made the dollar bill darts that stuck wherever they landed.:cryThe napkin airplanes never worked.:dunno Now lets get back to the Rat Rod thing OK?:beerbang

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sure, we built cars like that, but not intentionally as they are today. It was only because we didn't have the money to make it shiny. Spray bomb primer to make it one color after slopping bondo in the rust holes and filling in the trim holes after nosing and decking. Slip on seat covers to keep the stuffing in and the springs from protruding into unmentionable parts of your anatomy.:eek:
Now I see cars intentionally left rusty and even some cause them to rust by using phosphoric acid to achieve the desired patina and even going so far as to actually shoot bullet holes in the body for effect.:dunno......reminds me of the people who buy new Levis, then throw them out on the freeway for a day, wash them 50 times and cut holes in them to give them that worn look before they will actually wear them. Manufactured authenticity is never as good as the real thing.:nono1:

:stooges

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think I must be twisted too. Almost anything with an early hemi is cool. Anyone who tried to fit something else into a tri-five is crazy, but still OK.

Back then, I saw Pontiacs, Ws, Chrysler B's, you name it stuffed into Chevys to get more CI. Sometimes they weren't any faster, but you had to give them credit for effort, ingenuity, or just using what was laying around.

That's how it always worked for me, I got my first "W" that way. It was available, the SBC in my 56 was way past worn out, seemed simple enough at the time!

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sure, we built cars like that, but not intentionally
I agree with you Cecil. And I'm on the fence with weather I like it or not. All I'm saying is that thats what these guys that are building these cars that way are trying to do is to build it the way they did when they had no money. It's totaly intentional. And you have to agree that they always attract attention at shows. There has got to be somthing to it:dunno Ken

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sure, we built cars like that, but not intentionally
I agree with you Cecil. And I'm on the fence with weather I like it or not. All I'm saying is that thats what these guys that are building these cars that way are trying to do is to build it the way they did when they had no money. It's totaly intentional. And you have to agree that they always attract attention at shows. There has got to be somthing to it:dunno Ken

I don't have any problem with it Ken. It's just kind of amusing seeing how much some people spend to look cheap, either in cars or clothes.:scratch
:coffee:.

S

Swiss Impala

Hello from Switzerland,

I see a license plate on this car!! You don't want to tell me that you are allowed to drive it on public roads? This is not true, is it? :eek: :eek:

If yes, unbelievable!

You would be arrested here in Switzerland. The guys at the office for
traffic and cars would send you to hell!

Have a good time

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ther are some states were you could not get away with driving a car like that but most of them there would not be a problem as long as it passes inspection. All safty items and lights would have to work. However when a police officer stops you he may just fill out a months worth of tickets for you:doh:roll Ken