WOW! What's Going On?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I brought my 64 out of the mothballs today. Great day, or so I thought. First, the oil is down 2 qts. on the dipstick. Power steering pump is nearly empty. Both were full when car was put away, last October. OK not a big problem. Put the oil in, and refilled the P.S.pump. Took off for a 30 minute ride, and put some fresh gas in. Car ran terrific. After putting in some premium I went for a longer ride. All of a sudden car starts to get sluggish. I look down at the temp gauge and its 230* while I'm moving. I pull in my driveway, and let it cool off for three hours. Radiator is not low. Later, I take valve covers off, and set the valves. Go for a ride again, now it runs like a raped ape again, and doesn't overheat this time. Talk about being temperamental. The temp was 81* today. I guess this is the price we pay for driving 40 plus year old cars. Is it worth it. YOU BET IT IS.:brow Skip:)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
skipxt4 said:
I brought my 64 out of the mothballs today. Great day, or so I thought. First, the oil is down 2 qts. on the dipstick. Power steering pump is nearly empty. Both were full when car was put away, last October. OK not a big problem. Skip:)

Hummm,,,, I could have written that Skip !!
I had that exact same thing,,,:dunno

2 qts down and empty PS ,,,:scratch

Does this stuff evaporate??? heeee heeeee ,, dq

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, Sounds like the thermostat was stuck due to inactivity. Finally came unstuck. Might be a good idea to replace it. Good luck....

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
dq: I believe my mr. gasket oil drain plug is leaking. Is must happen when the weather gets cold. I've never seen it leak after changing the oil and filter. Ronnie: You're probably correct about the thermostat being stuck. If it acts up again its outta here. Thanks guys, Skip:)

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Why wait for it to act up???:dunno It is cheap insurance. :deal Replace before you hurt the thing.