WW II bomber production

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This was sent to me by a friend down under and I thought I'd pass it on to everyone here. Pretty amazing stuff. There is a great movie that goes with this but I can't attach it here for some reason. I have sent it off to Brian T..... the computer guy to see if he can get the job done so please check back. If he can get it on here you will enjoy the movie.
Dave

Subject: B24 Bomber at Willow Run MI.

I had no idea Ford was involved in building aircraft during WW II. The figures are staggering ... one off the line every 55 minutes? Incredible. The country's industrial base did a phenomenal job of cranking out hardware in those days. Not like Australia’s today!

I got this a couple of weeks ago from someone else. Very good, because so few people these days have any idea what a massive industrial effort WWII was - or how diverse the production was. I talk to a lot of people at NASM's Udvar -Hazy Center about WWII industrial participation, because we've got some really great examples to show them. For example, the Boeing B-29 Enola Gay, One of our centerpieces, isn't Boeing at all.. It was built by the Martin Co. In Omaha NE. Bell Aircraft also built B-29s in Marietta GA. The Norden bombsight that is in the airplane (the one that actually dropped the bomb on Hiroshima) isn't Norden-built. It came out of the Victor Adding Machine Co. of Chicago IL. And her Curtiss-Wright R-3350 engines aren't CW. They were built by Dodge automotive. The Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine in the Vought F4U Corsair is, likewise, not from P & WA, but from Nash-Kelvinator, the folks that made washing machines and air conditioners! And the airplane's left horizontal stabilizer is from Goodyear, the company that built many Corsairs as the FG. Many folks have seen one of the five Boeing B-17s that still fly around on the airshow circuit. Most are not Boeing. Rather they come from Douglas or Lockheed. The majority of the Grumman F4F Wildcats and TBF Avengers were built , not by Grumman, but by General Motors at a totally new one-mile-long plant they built in NJ during the war for their Eastern Aircraft Div. of GM. So, President (then Ensign) George HW Bush what shot down in a General Motors airplane, the TBM Avenger. The Willow Run story is fascinating, as are many of these alternative production source stories. Ford had a very difficult time with startup, but they got it right and cranked out a substantial portion of the most heavily produced military aircraft in US history (about 19,000 B-24s and Navy equivalents in four years), including the one my father-in-law (you met him years ago in Dayton) flew on most of his 35 missions over Europe. The whole story of WWII industrial aircraft production (and you could say the same for tanks, ships, guns, and the lot) is really an amazing one.

During WW II, in 1941, beforePearl Harbor,
Ford converted a company farm in Willow Run, Michigan to a factory to produce the B-24 bomber. Over one million parts went together to get one completed.. At peak
production they were coming off the assembly line 24 / 7 at the rate of one every 55 minutes.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Not to change this thread to much, but other manufactures changed their products for the war. To name just a few, look at Singer sewing machine company. I believed they re-tooled to make machine guns. GM was building tanks, trucks and airplane engines also.

As for Willow Run, I believe Ford gave the land to the government of the war effort, knowing to well that he could use it after the war for his own products. But the government deeded it to the U of Michigan for Aeronautical Research Center. Since it was to big just for the center they let Ford start to use it for it's auto transmission plant, which it did for years. Also U of M in 1946 let Avis Rent A Car start it's base of operation there.
Kalitta Air has used it as their base of operations also since day one. Willow Run was the only major airport for Detroit after the war until 1957 for air travel. Problem was it was just a little to far from Detroit, so in 1957 Detroit Metro started, about 20 miles nearer to Detroit.

Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not to change this thread to much, but other manufactures changed their products for the war. To name just a few, look at Singer sewing machine company. I believed they re-tooled to make machine guns. GM was building tanks, trucks and airplane engines also.

As for Willow Run, I believe Ford gave the land to the government of the war effort, knowing to well that he could use it after the war for his own products. But the government deeded it to the U of Michigan for Aeronautical Research Center. Since it was to big just for the center they let Ford start to use it for it's auto transmission plant, which it did for years. Also U of M in 1946 let Avis Rent A Car start it's base of operation there.
Kalitta Air has used it as their base of operations also since day one. Willow Run was the only major airport for Detroit after the war until 1957 for air travel. Problem was it was just a little to far from Detroit, so in 1957 Detroit Metro started, about 20 miles nearer to Detroit.

Dave

Practically all our manufacturing shifted to wartime production. One of the interesting weapons of the period that I collect is the M-1 carbine which was made by at least 11 different manufacturers including:
GM- Inland Division
Winchester
Irwin Pedersen
Saginaw Steering Gear Division of GM
Underwood Elliot Fisher (the typewriter people)
National Postal Meter
Quality Hardware Manufacturing Corp.
IBM
Standard Products
Rockola (jukeboxes)
Commercial Controls Corp

My Rockola is one of my favorites......the idea of a jukebox/vending machine company making weapons.
Trying to restore one back to original with all matching parts is a challenge as when they went back to the armory for rework, all the parts were mixed up and reassembled without regard to matching....kinda like some of the older chevy engines today.:coffee: