X frame drive shaft

59belair

Can anyone tell me if the X frame drive shaft can be replaced by a one piece shaft. I'm told that it works fine. Is it necessary?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Drive shaft RPM

Aubrey, why the limit on drive shaft RPM? Don't figure that one.
With 4:56 or 4:88 the drive shaft RPM is going to be way over 5000 in a 1/4 mile.

Fred

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Fred it has to do with a thing call " critical speed" heres a definition...

Critical Speed:
This is the probably the most influential factor in driving the purchase of an aftermarket driveshaft. The critical speed of a spinning shaft is described as the lowest speed which excites the shaft at it's natural frequency of vibration. This will cause the shaft to bend under the stress of vibration coupled with the centrifugal forces due to the rotation. In english, this means the shaft will vibrate very badly and possibly take a permanent bend (if not destroy the car in the process) as the critical speed is exceeded. If you use the calculator to predict the critical speed of a shaft, you can clearly see that lighter materials with higher modulus of elasticity give higher critical speeds. So do larger diameter shafts with thinner material thicknesses. Unfortunately, there is a limit to the diamter of shaft you can put in the car, so stronger lighter materials were developed to make stronger and faster spinning shafts. Just to get a handle on the speed a driveshaft turns, use the 'Tire Stuff' calculator here (NOTE: just remember to set the transmission gear to 1 instead of .7 to get the engine rpm the same as the driveshaft rpm).

====

From here
http://www.pontiacracing.net/driveshaftspeed.htm ...09

59belair

solid driveshaft

My major concern was interference between the driveshaft where the passes through the frame

GREAT info, loafer:cheers

Belair... You should change the rear shocks to units that are by application for the 65-70 full size. About 2" shorter extended length.
Are you using a big engine ( over 400 CID ) ?
If not, the one piece is COMPLETELY unnecessary:deal

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
tmracing62, not sure what your refering to, I see it askinmg for a "style" and that is in referrence to the illustrations to the right of the page...09

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just pretend and punch in some numbers and "click" continue then do it again and it asks what series? ie,,,,1000 1200 1300 1400 so on

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
(where/why are you digging this up Loafer - don't you already have a hobby? - but thanks, this is good stuff) .

====

Hobby, this stuff is my hobby, was my living for 35+ years. I have literally 100''s of bookmarked sites. I need to spend some time cleanung them up and re catologing them. I am terrible at filing both electronically and physically. That Dana site has changed since I was last there...09

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Originally posted by tmracing62
59 -

Chow out the tunnel through the X-Brace so a 3.5" tube will clear well. There's plenty of material left so you aren't weakening it. ....

UseNo problem so far up to around 5000 rpm with a pinion angle of a little over 1 degree. There was a vibration at 2 degrees, but I can't say for sure that this was it as once everything was sorted out, that vibration went away.

I like the way you cropped out the xframe to accomodate the one piece drive shaft and want to do the same on my '58 Impala but other posts I've read has concerns of weakening the frame and the drive shaft hitting when hitting a hard bump.
How long have you driven with a one piece drive shaft? Anything different you would do to improve the modification?

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Driveshaft

I had a new two-piece, 2 1/2" diameter with a slip joint in the rear shaft made for my 61 at the beginning of the summer. I have nearly 100 runs on the car at the drag strip so far. The car has 9" slicks and leaves at 4000 RPM. So far, no problems with the driveshaft.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Belair

This spring I install a two piece drive shaft in the Blue
Screamer. It is a 3" shaft with a slip joint behind the center support.
The company is Inland Empire Driveline, in Ontario CA.
This drive line has held up, pushing a 3940 pound car with 9.5
slicks with no problems. I spin the engine at 7200 going across
the finish line. It is on the expensive side, but you might as well go first class.

Allen ;)
Blue Screamer

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm glad I went and checked there site. http://www.iedls.com/ They have had a driveshaft with a slip yoke in the rear section for several years but it seems they now have a heavier version available as well. It looks like they might also make a heavier yoke to fit our rearends as well. Now just add Aubreys differential and axle upgrades and our driveline breaking days are over. :) http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/intro.html Look under " our products for 409 cars"