X-frame weaknesses when racing

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have another thread going regarding '58 rear suspension set-up, and someone pointed out the pitfalls of the X-frame surviving big engines, slicks, and racing - or even just big engines and "playing rough". Has anyone out there made any modifications to their X-frame to help it withstand hi-torque and sticky tire situations? I do not intend to race my '58, but I know if I have a 454 in it I'll be putting my foot in it now and then; and I'd prefer not to hurt the car. Has anyone encountered problems from their frames twisting (etc.)? I also do not intend to modify my frame, but I am curious as to what others have done. Thanks for any input.
Here's my other thread:
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10666

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I know the 58 rear suspension is a bit different, but there is a weak spot on the 61 to 64 frame that might also apply to the 58 frame.:scratch
Sometime before I got my 62, the upper control arm from the rear end had ripped the bracket that it hooks to right out of the frame. GM came up with bracket to re-enforce the area in 64 I think. I just welded some additional re-enforcement to the area and boxed in the upper bar. It's plenty strong now.
As you probably know the stock rearends aren't very strong. I got about six runs down the strip with mine before breaking both axles.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I went overboard with a cage in mine. Didnt quite need all of it, but I did more than I needed (nhra wise) to help the car from twisting. Probably not a popular option for alot of people.

cliff-1972

Well Known Member
I welded all the places that the factory didn't on my frame.I also welded in 1 5/8" .180 wall tubing just behind the rear axle for some strength also,as well as box the rest of the frame where it wasn't from the factory.My roll cage ties into the frame and the door rocker panels with a 2"X3" tubing(see webshots)I also ripped the upper control arm frame support bracket out once or twice:D I still need to redo it better though.

cliff-1972

Well Known Member
Thanks,Hobart.I really need to paint though.It was painted back in 90 and I primered it again in 94 So it is about time for some paint I think:D

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
hey hobart do you still want the 61 rear end? its getting close to scrap yard time!!

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Scott, I'll let you know this week, I'm going to see a chassis guy in a few days.
Thanks again.

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Scott, I not going to need the rear end. I just emailed you about it. Thanks a lot for the offer, I appreciate it.

We are going to stick with the '58 style housing and beef everything up, and use a 9" F#%d. I would prefer to use the 10-bolt original, but by the time I get a stock-posi (so I can ditch the 17-spline axles) and all of the good parts from Aubrey I'll have put more money in the 10-bolt than I would in the 9". And I have to get rid of the 17-spline axles, because now I'm leaning towards a 496 - too risky. I'll keep you posted on what exactly I do.

Thanks again for all of the tips, keep 'em coming, and to Aubrey for his wisdom as well.