Yabba Dabba Do!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I finished the second coat of primer build up on the 1961 Bonneville and decided to put that aside for a bit and bring in the 1961 Belair. The Pontiac is pretty solid and is getting that "Rat Rod" flat black look, so with to coats of primer/sealer and block sanding, it's pretty much ready for it's last coat. But I get bored easily, so I decided to swap it out for the Belair and start back on that project.

The Belair needs a lot of pan work, so I started with cutting out the bad and getting it ready for new pans. Also started grinding down the exterior a bit and removing the rest of the glass and such. It's pretty much stripped down.

Here's a few shots of the project. Got a few weeks off and thought it might be fun to practice my welding skills, which are quite minimal. Seeing all those pics of Brian's project, and that 1961 Convertible got me excited :) :) :).

Enjoy!
TomK

Attachments

• June 30 2008 Pontiac Bonneville PAINT 011A.jpg
    June 30 2008 Pontiac Bonneville PAINT 011A.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 125
  • July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 003A.jpg
    July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 003A.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 106
  • July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 005A.jpg
    July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 005A.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 93
  • July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 006A.jpg
    July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 006A.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 106
  • July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 007A.jpg
    July 2 2008 1961 Belair floor pans 007A.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 95

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like a nother East Coast mint conditioned car !!!:roll:roll

Boy I have to hand it to you guys back there and what you take on as good projects !!:doh:clap:clap

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom-

At least you have a good roof and quarters, and a 409 already in place!!! It won't be long before she is on the road.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Tom, when you get time could you post a picture of the engine you have in that car. I'd like to see what the "script" valve covers look like on an engine.
Thanks
Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
script covers

Dave Is this what you meant by scripted covers? Just thought I'd save you the time of waiting for Tom's projects to finish:roll:roll:roll
linkage001.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Boy I have to hand it to you guys back there and what you take on as good projects !!:doh:clap:clap

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. :D

You guys on the west coast have it too good. :p The pickin's are getting slimmer every day. (and the prices keep going up and up) The basket cases of today will one day be the prizes of tomorrow. :deal

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Robert, but I think Tom's are polished.

......... but if I have to wait until the project is finished we could polish yours !!

:roll

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Polished valve covers

Dave:

Here's a shot from a bit away, if you need a closeup I can take one for you!

DQ, we don't have a lot of choices out here, like you Arizona to California guys do :). I have to admit, my CA 1962 came apart a lot easier than this one, and of course it had good pans, etc. For the area the rockers and quarters on this 1961 BA are in pretty decent shape. The pan rust came as a result of the car being vandalized (windows broken) and then the car sitting for 20 years outside without cover.

The engine sitting in the frame is a 348, but not the one that is going back in. It is not original to the car, although she was born with a 348 and three-on-the-tree. The replacement engine will be that 1961 "011" HA block, bored to .060" and sporting Aubrey's forged stroker pistons, 409 crank, and BBC rods. Heads will be upgraded to 1147s :).

For now I will continue working on the body, getting it ready for sealer (that's pretty much bare metal you are looking, with a few filler spots covering dents that were already mudded in...). The engine is at the shop, but we are moving slowly on that front. I'll be pretty busy July and August getting this part impoved. It'll be another "driver" quality restoration, not a high dollar build.

Cheers!
TomK

P.S. Oops, I must have posted that pic earlier, the site won't let me post a duplicate. Will see if I can locate that on the Forum, or get you a close up shot.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
P.S. Oops, I must have posted that pic earlier, the site won't let me post a duplicate. Will see if I can locate that on the Forum, or get you a close up shot.

Just resize the photo a bit and you can repost it,,

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom-

We have a new feature in the forum since the upgrade and you can view all of your attachments in one spot. Click on UserCP at the top left of the page and scroll down to Miscellaneous, Attachments will be listed there. This link may also take you directly to it, not for sure though.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/profile.php?do=editattachments

Brian, Thanks for the tip...Does that mean if I want to post that same attachment I can go there and get it and post in a new thread?

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
YABBADABBADO:doh Now I get it. Thats what I get for starring at Bob's getting sleepy post.
Ray

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Polished valve covers

Here are some recent shots of those polished aftermarket valve covers with the "Chevrolet" script.

Enjoy!
TomK

Attachments

• 1961 Belair project July 7 2008 009A.jpg
    1961 Belair project July 7 2008 009A.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1961 Belair project July 7 2008 010A.jpg
    1961 Belair project July 7 2008 010A.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 1961 Belair project July 7 2008 013A.jpg
    1961 Belair project July 7 2008 013A.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 62

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom: How many hours do you have in that polish job. I think they look great but I need to have a party and invite some of you polishers so that everyone gets a turn at the wheel.
robert

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, Thanks for the tip...Does that mean if I want to post that same attachment I can go there and get it and post in a new thread?

When you go to the attachments page, right click on the name of the picture and select properties, then copy the complete url. In the new post, select the icon with the mountain and sun (
insertimage.gif
) on it and paste the url in the window that opens. Your pic will now be in both posts.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom: How many hours do you have in that polish job. I think they look great but I need to have a party and invite some of you polishers so that everyone gets a turn at the wheel.
robert

Robert, I didn't know Tom was Polish, and why do you only want people from Poland to come over? Isn't that profilin?:nono1:

Ray

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
You got me on that one Ray!
robert
anyway I am jealous about his covers. But I think he saw mine at Norwalk and has upped me big time:eek: