Yank Tank

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anyone watch "Wheeler Dealer" on HDTHR the other night?
If you don't know anything about it , it`s a British show where they fix up and resell cars.
Last show he buys a n 84 C-4 Corvette!
His comments on our American cars is odd,,,
He loves the engines calling the 5.7 liter a BIG American engine!!
But,,, the one comment that made me fall out of my chair was the comment about American cars having electrical problems??
"typical American electrical quality"?:takethat

WHAT??? I guess Lucas parts work better then anything Chevy makes?
Then then paint the top and mirrors with rattle can paint???:scratch
These guys are HACKS !!!!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:crazy DQ anything over there overthere over 2 litres[122 cu.in] is condsidered a big engine :dunno What would they call a 572 or a 478 cu.in GMC V6/ :roll:roll.As far as 'the prince of darkness''goes[Lucas]just consider the source :doh

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
British electronics

Don't know much about british auto electronics but their motorcycle electronics suck!:eyebrow

S

Swiss Impala

Hi guys,

First thing: Never listen to the comments of Europeans.
Most of them do not or do not want to understand American
Cars. Forget about them.
But Franz loves American cars, some other people here too,
but this is a minority.
I also have sometimes problems with our Chevrolets, but nevertheless
I love these cars. Some people here say that they have no problems
with European cars. And I say all these people are liars!

Franz

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim,

I saw the beginning of that one, but didn't get to finish it. He had just bought the "Tank Tank", when I had to leave. I'll have to look for a repeat of that one, just to see what they did, to make it presentable.

Bill

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have seen a lot of Wheeler Dealers, the POM's in general just have no taste, particularly the average guy. you think Wheeler Dealers are rough, take a look at London Chop Shop :roll:roll, hey lots of inspiration just no idea of proportion.:takethat

mind you I know a number of POM's who have the eye and the knowhow, but most of them don't live there, either in your neck of the woods or down here below the equator.:crazy

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have seen a lot of Wheeler Dealers, the POM's in general just have no taste, particularly the average guy. you think Wheeler Dealers are rough, take a look at London Chop Shop :roll:roll, hey lots of inspiration just no idea of proportion.:takethat

mind you I know a number of POM's who have the eye and the knowhow, but most of them don't live there, either in your neck of the woods or down here below the equator.:crazy

:roll:roll
Pommy
The term pommy, often shortened to pom, in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, commonly denotes a person of British (English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish) origin. A derogatory term, it was controversially ruled no longer offensive in 2006 by the Australian Advertising Standards Board and in 2010 by the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority.[1] Despite these changing views, many British people or those of British origin consider the expression offensive or racist when used by people not of British origin to describe English or British people, yet acceptable when used within that community: for example, the community group British People Against Racial Discrimination was among those who complained to the Advertising Standards Board about five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", prompting the 2006 decision.[2]

Sounds like a term the "people of Color" here use in the same way!! Just don't use it if you are not one!!:?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Warm beer joke

I'm sure you all know the "warm beer" joke about why the English drink warm beer (Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas) :).

Having owned several British cars in the past, I still laugh from the times when my battery went dead after a short drive, or I flipped the light switch and the wipers went on.... But I did enjoy driving those Healeys :). Emphasis on "did"....

I can't watch those shows, the guys are hacks at best, and quality control is a bit of a joke on their projects. When they "respray" a car or touch up a panel I almost cringe!

Cheerio mates!

TomK

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:roll LikeTom I had a share of British cars. The first car I really worked on was a Bug Eye when I was 11. One of the first rules is having a Battery cut off switch.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
POM'S. Pommy originated mainly from Australia and should read P.O.M.E.

Prisoner of Mother England.

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bug Eye Sprite?

f_40766768_1.jpeg

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep, I too had to deal with the Lucas wiring. Had an 80 MGB Limited. Autocross raced it for a while and then threw a 327 sbc in it when I couldn't get fast enough to beat this one particular Morgan. Never should have done that...Couldn't get that thing to stick for nothing!

Anyway, I had a bumper sticker on my car. (The only one I have ever had in my entire life) The background was British Racing Green and it read " The Lucas Switch" DIM -> OFF -> FLICKER (Depicting a 3 position toggle switch)
I got so many comments on that bumper sticker!

62409wagon

Well Known Member
I restored a.1970 landrover got a brand new wireharness for it and could not believe how they wire those things. Now there is nothing but basic things such as ignition and lights just a terible setup. :crazyl

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My first new car was 65 AH Sprite. I think I paid $1750 for it. :deal
Great little car until it rained or just a heavy dew....had to take the dist. cap off and dry it out to start it.:grumble:

S

Swiss Impala

:cheers Come on guys, you know I like American cars much more than
European or even cars from Asia, but what car brought this fine 409
from Zurich Airport to Solothurn?............... a :eek: Land Rover! :D :D
So, please gentlemen, just change your way of thinking and you will
love British cars! ;) :D :D
By the way I have a lot of problems with it at the moment :cry
The real prince of darkness is inside it, a really bad ghost!:crazy

Attachments

• Disco 1.jpg
    Disco 1.jpg