young 409 lover

DW409

Hi guys, I've recently started visiting this website. What a great website by the way. My name is Derek I'm 28 yrs old and live in Oregon MO. I'm probably a little younger than most people interested in these old w-motors. I guess I tell everyone what got me interested. As far as I can remember back, my Uncle Roger has had a 1963 Bel Air 409 4spd that he bought new back in 1963. He still has the car!!! When my interest in cars started getting the best of me, my dad would tell me stories of when he took my Uncle to the local chevy dealer to order the car, and other times of when my uncle wasn't around and my dad would sneak the car out and go cruising in it on weekend nights. He always said that car would pull hard enough to throw you to the back seat if you weren't holding on to the steering wheel good enough. Anyway, stories like that are why I'm hooked on W-motors. I wish more people my age had such an interest in them. I currently have a 1955 chevy 2dr. 210 (currently mouse powered), and a 1962 biscayne 2dr. that is sort of a nostalgia car in the making. I took a giant step back on that project a few years ago and had to sell my 409 powerplant I had bought for it , so I could finish up college. Luckily I'm hoping to gain some of that ground back this spring because another uncle of mine has a couple of old grain haulers with 409's in them. I'm gonna retrieve one of them this spring and the other hopefully soon after. Anyway, sorry for the long intro, hope to meet up with some of you guys in the near future. Also if anyone has info on modifying x frames for drag race use send me an email, dgw_72396@hotmail.com,

Thanks,
Derek

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Derek,
I hope you enjoy Bob's board as much as I do and I'm sure you will. That step backward you took will pay off in the long run. It's sure good to see another generation step up and enjoy these old beasts as much as us old guys do.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site Derek.:beerbang
There's quite a few guys racing these cars so they'll have an idea what modifications will be needed. You might get the best results if you start a separate post on the subject.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Welcome Derek: you'll enjoy yourself here...try to get to the couple of events the "performance" guys make it to which is mainly the hot rod reunion and the summer event for us which hasn't been agreed on yet(I don't think) and you will be with the racers:cheers
robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
KC action

Welcome, Derek!

I concur that you made a good choice to invest in your continuing education, hopefully those seeds will return the investment :).

Looks like you live just north of St. Joseph, near the Nebraska border. Not too far from KC. There might be a few small events at the KCIR dragstrip this year that we will be attending (I speak of "we" as me personally and some of my local buddies) and we'll keep you posted as those arise.

I live in Columbia, MO and have a few 409 cars that I take to St. Louis and KC ocassionally. If you're ever in the area, let me know and perhaps we can connect up.

Glad to have some younger fellas aboard. Maybe my two boys will get excited about my cars some day :).

Cheers!
TomK

DW409

Hey Tom, I go down to KCIR whenever I get a chance. I work as a tech/mechanic in Independence for a GM dealer so I'm down there through the week and my dad and I go to a lot of the bigger events at the track during the summer. Let me know when your over this way sometime. Thanks,

Derek

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Greetings Derek!!!

I know where Oregon is............right south of the Squaw Creek truck stop!!!!

Since you're in town all the time....both you and dad need to come by the shop if you want to see some 409s!! I'm in Parkville so not very far off I-29 on your trips in and out "of the city"!!!!

DW409

Hey Phil, I think I actually met you about ten years ago. I was in your shop once or twice when I first bought my Biscayne. I just didn't have a whole lot of time or money then, since I was still in high school, or I'd have been back more. I did buy a set of cross flags and a pair of 409 emblems for the side of my car when I was there. Gotta start somewhere right!!! Anyways, I'll definately stop in sometime, especially when I really get this 62 Biscayne Project Rollin'. See ya soon

Derek

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Derek

Derek, Somebody on here had some great photos of the X-frame mods you are looking for . Me thinks it may have been Bob Walker. You probably could get there attention by starting a thread and title it "X frame Mods??" Hope this helps. Great bunch of guys here.
Ray