Your Opinion is required

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi All,

I have a 61 Impala 2D HT (Bubbletop)

It was the platinum or Beige sort of colour (cant remember name)

Will be 348 (maybe stroked to 380) 5 speed Tremec and 17 inch wheels (all just like original:crazy)

My dilema is that when i purchased the car it cam with a new Beige and creme original re-pro upholstery kit which i like and to be straight cant afford to change either.

I want to paint the car in a bright gold with a black stripe where the white stripe would be (where is Dic MaC and his photoshop when you need him?)

I am thinking of painting the dash in the black as i dont think the gold will go with the Beige in the interior

Open to all criticism and jokes on the colour choices but that is how it stands until another idea pops into my head or a new opinion is given to me by Lynette.
Wildfire paint.jpg

Colour on a Holden Ute

Go for it:pop

Steve

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Get ahold of Chip Foose and see if he'll do a rendering. If you can't get DickyMac that is. I'm trying to picture the color scheme. I'm thinking it will be kick ass! Next thing is getting the wheels right.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not the color I would chose, but I bet it will look great still. The black stripe will really help set it all off.

Interior color you have is Fawn Beige.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Only my opinion Steve, but I would not go with a black dash, I would go with a colour more matched to the Fawn Interior.

That ute colour is tricky, changes in variable light, stands out though.

good luck with choosing, it is such a gut wrenching thing, because once it is on it is so hard to change.

I have painted all my Hot Rods black, but have never done a colour change on a full size Chev.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think you need to sell that interior kit and do something that works with the exterior color, which is awesome with the black stripe.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I thought of that car too. Please don't cut the stripe short like they did. Not a fan of the quarter panel being cut for the exhaust either, but those are just my opinions.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the comments guys. This is what I wanted from this thread.
keep them coming.
wheels looking at like a torque thrust D but black spokes and polished rim???
Lowered by only say 2 or 2 1/2 inches don't want to run bags in this one. Don't get me wrong I like the ride of them in the 60 and love the look when it is on the bump stops parked up.
but I like the simplicity of the springs .
I hear you Mike re the interior if I can sell the one I have I might have even went with a factory style black interior.

I like the car in the pic but the stripe is all wrong for me. The car will have all the factory trim. Grill guard and rear bumper over riders.

Any wheel suggestions? Like 17 inch coz I can get 55 series tyres over here and have a decent side wall.

Keep the suggestions coming even telling me I'm mad is fine. Get that all the time at home....

Steve

Last edited:

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the comments guys. This is what I wanted from this thread.
keep them coming.
wheels looking at like a torque thrust December but black spokes and polished rim???
Lowered by only say 2 or 2 1/2 inches don't want to run bags in this one. Don't get me wrong I like the ride of them in the 60 and love the look when it is on the bump stops parked up.
but I like the simplicity of the springs .
I hear you Mike re the interior if I can s3 the one I have I might have even went with a factory style black interior.

I like the car in the pic but the stripe is all wrong for me. The car will have all the factory trim. Grill guard and rear bumper over riders.

Any wheel suggestions? Like 17 inch coz I can get 55 series tyres over here and have a decent side wall.

Keep the suggestions coming even telling me I'm mad is fine. Get that all the time at home....

Steve
Your MAD:crazy.:laugh
What if you get the interior kit out and get a sample panel painted in gold to see how it will go against the interior!

Gav

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve,I really like your color choice,although I think either black or white would be a better choice for the inside. As for the "sensible and intelligent' part :rub:dunno ,Even people from "Down Under" know that's an oxymoron when coupled with the term "car nut"!:haha:haha

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
There is someone on ChevyTalk that's painting a '61 a similar color to the Brazen Orange that was on the GTO/Monaro cars. Not sure how that compares to the color (Wildfire?) of the VE Ute pictured

Personally, I don't think it works on a 60's Chevy. A bit too light/bright. A deeper color such as the one on the '62 Bel Air built by Greening Auto in the mid-2000s is a better fit. http://www.superchevy.com/features/0405sc-1962-chevy-impala/

I'd go with either a body color dash, or something that's similar to the interior. Perhaps a shade darker.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Steve, i changed my mind ,you ought to do it like this!!!!!!:D:Dimages.jpg
Well, maybe not.:eek1 I hope you make your own decision and no one else's,it's your car!!!!!

Last edited: