Your opinion requested

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Guys:

Bummer situation -- needs solution.

I took the '62 SS on a road trip to visit the folks (my Dad had a 1962 SS as a family car back in '63-'67) and about 50 miles into the 1200 mile round trip the oil filler cap dislodged and coughed up 4 quarts of oil all over I-70. By the time I shut her down I scored the bottom end bearings and limped home with a bit of a rod knock. To save the 283 I decided to park the car and do the airline thing (bummer).

So the original motor to the car is now in need of an overhaul. I will keep the motor for long term, but do not have plans to rebuild it anytime soon. It came with the factory PG option (steady but boring).

So here are the options I solicit your opinions on:

1. Take a 1964 truck motor (QD) in decent shape (needs boring) and make a stroker out of it with 583 heads and 2x4 intake

2. Start with a severly damaged but 1962 date coded 1962 QB block, set of correct 690 heads, 2x4 intake, and build a somewhat stock replica of what was an option for the car that the original buyer just forgot to check when she ordered it.

3. Slip in a GM crate motor (502 big block) modified to pump 600 + HP that I have sitting on the concrete looking for a vehicle (this would be a temporary solution until I build one or both of the above).

Any solution will have a scattershield and a B/W T-10 four speed behind it. If I do option #3 I get free labor to convert the pedals and the linkage and such (for the big block GM crate motor). Cost for various stuff is about $1700 - $2000 (headers, motor mounts, radiator, wiring, etc.) that will not transfer readily to the eventual 409 setup. the 4 speed conveys and is already in house (and rebuilt).

Which would you prefer, option #1, #2, or #3 ???

I wait eagerly for your most biased opinions :) :) :)

regards,

Tom K
Columbia, MO

P.S. the stroker or the stock 409 will be done in Independence, MO by the reknowned Tony Shaffer (unless CPG steps up and volunteers his expertise (of course at the going rates) and knowledge :) The 502 crate motor is ready to go as is....

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom !!! My `09s on the way !! If you can ship that 502 tomorrow they might pass each other on the freeway !!

Tough to answer,,,this IS a "W" block forum !! heeee heee

With the 502 you can go really fast really easily but,,,,,,lift the hood and see the looks on the bystandards faces when they see the `09 !!

kbc409nova

Supporting Member 1
My opinion

Tom - I would go with option no. 1, as
much as the 502 would be faster, the
look of those scalloped valve covers
has no comparison. ---Kevin :cheers :D :D

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom,

You can put a 502 in any chev, any year, and can be done anytime BUT a stock look stroked 409 in a 1962 SS is PRICELESS !!! :D :D

JokersBel

Banned
I think wagon says it best...the '09 is PRICELESS!

The 502 would be tempting just becasue she is ready, but i'd match that with something else. Although I am somewhat of an originality person and would think about rebuilding the original 283, the thought of popping the hood and seeing another small block under there would sway me to your option 1 or 2. If money persists to fix the QB, do it! If ease of the truck block, then do that one!

I hope I don't insult anyone with the comment about a SB, but we are all here at this little forum for the same reason. Right? :D Jim

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
ARGH!

I'd have to say PRICELESS too.

A 409 in a correct year Chevy is a real head turning motor.

And since I have one to sell......and I need cash for the wife's back operation this week......

Think about it.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tom
This is a 'W' forum, we are 'W' people and our favorite movie is Mad Mad Mad Mad World just because the money is under the 'W'.
The 'W' is the only way to go, that way there is no lunch bag let down when you raise the hood at a cruise.
BJ

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I know, I know, I know

The fact that this is a "W" forum does not escape me :)

I think the problem is a local one. The 502 motor is freshly rebuilt (it's actually .030" over, which makes it a 509 :)) and my mechanic is so eager to test it out in something, hence the offer for free conversion labor. It is a bit of work to go from a PG to a 4 speed, and I could use the help.

The problem I have is that this 509 is only a temporary install (I really want the 409) and then I eat the cost of BBC Sanderson headers, flywheel, clutch/pressur plate setup, etc. Not even sure that the radiator will be useable. That's where the cost diffential goes.

The car is actually driveable as is. I just don't want that orginal 283 to get worse, so I can rebuild it someday in the future. It's next 10 years or more is destined to be on a stand in my new shop.

I am tempted to initiate the 409 stroker project, since I have a good '64 QD block and the 583 heads and lots of additional stuff, but the car will eventually get the correct '62 QB block and 409/409 setup. The stroker motor is destined for my now stalled '62 bubbletop project....

Isn't it nice to have options? Only if you can pull the trigger :)

Am still in the developing stages of building that 40' by 60' shop at my nearby Farm (working on those photos, to come soon) and the cost overruns are already mounting... It's getting hard to do several things at once. I guess I am no hurry, but having all these "W" parts and no running motor is starting to kill me as well :) That appears to be the direction I am heading, option #1 with the 409 stroker motor. I just picked up a 454 crank at an auction for $5 (that's right, five bucks). It's been welded on but I thought I'd take a chance. Got several 427 cranks as well ( 2 for $5). Bob, do you get these prices out in Pennsylvania as well ??? :)

Best,
Tom K

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The radiator and motor mounts from a BBC swap should work just fine for a 409. The BBC would have the same cooling requirements as a 409, and I know the mounts work with each other.

I also don't see why you couldn't use the clutch over again as well. I guess that depends if you want an 11" or 10.5". Same goes for the wiring. If you wire it carefully it should be fairly easy to change over to the 409.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom,,,Now that I`ve given it some thought and listened to all others,,,,I would agree with 3Imps and do option #3,,,
WHY??? Why not !! Seems the only parts you won`t use after the stroker is ready are the headers !! And you can sell them and recoupe some of that.
This way you get the free labor for the 4 speed set-up work,,,get to drive the pi** out of the 509 and have a ball while you gather parts and build the `09 !!

I really don`t see any other better option,,,this one has many bennies the others don`t,,,

Just for fun,,,,get a "5" and put it infront of the "09" under the fender flages !!!,,,dq

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Tom I think you oughta go for the Bad Boy 502. Send me all them ol' truck motors and boat anchors ya got laying around. Might as well throw in all the extra parts ya got to go with them, they won't fix anything else anyway...09.. ;)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good suggestions

All good suggestions!

One problem I have is parting with anything. No way I will part with any of the "W" stuff, as that is the future.

DQ, I did look into having a set of 509 emblems for the front fenders. There is a guy on Ebay who makes these. I contacted him and he said the tooling costs are quite high for a single set. I doubt that there are others out there who would want such a thing :(

I've been thinking long and hard about this. That is why I posted it in this Forum. Hell, i knew most of you guys would state the obvious (go with the '09). Now that CPG has those trick Ross pistons ready to go, it might be time to pull the trigger on the stroker build.

Then another thought came to mind. True I never part with anything, but I do barter a bit. No offense, but I bought the BBC just because, well, I am not really sure, I just thought $3500 was a good deal and I knew the kid, was in the vehicle it was installed in (it would rip your shorts off), and know the mechanic who build the motor (engine). It was kind of a whim (I recall adult beverages being consumed...) but I dont' regret it.

Truthfully, my mechanic buddies like this new stuff more than I (I prefer "period correct" stuff), so tomorrow I am going to propose to James (the mechanic who volunteered his time if I chose the BBC project) that he can HAVE the 509 if he helps me get back on track with my '62 Bubbletop project. I have been stuck at a fabrication point in the rear quarters for over a year. He is good at this sort of stuff (I am a hack at best. I have hand made at least three sets of left rear corners for that '62 and each one is shoddy at best. My future as a panel builder looks poor. Don't look for me anytime soon on Monster Garage!).

He gets the BBC to put in anything he wants, I get to see him tear something up :) and I get some progress on my Bubbletop project. Win, win, win! Can't go wrong with that one, assuming he bites and we strike some sort of agreement (we're pretty informal about such stuff, and I trust him to follow through on deals such as this).

Look at it this way: All of us X frame guys get to see another Black over Red '62 Bubbletop closer to completion, a couple of true gearheads get a modern perfomance engine (motor) that they ordinarily wouldn't have been able to afford, and we all go on with life :)

Sound too simple?

Oh yeah, and I get to focus on building my storage project and maybe get a stroker motor project going. See my other posts for progress on that building :) :) :)

CPG, I hope that QD block checks out OK at .030", so I can bid on those pistons :)

Cheers,
Tom K

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
"And hey... I can have a set of these pistons in any size you'd like ! "

:) :) ...09

Actually what piston is that?? ...09