Z-11 camshaft identification

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
I just dug out an old Z-11 camshaft #7736 dated G-2-8 and on the gear end has IC5 or 1C5 with a small m in the middle of the C. I know a picture would be better but not sure how to post it. This could be a July 8, 1962 as I doubt GM made replacements in 1968. Would the small m be Melling? Any ideas?

Thanks, Wild Bill

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
A company called Camshaft Machine Co. located in Michigan did factory cams for GM back then.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
1968 and much later that camshaft was available from Chevrolet. Not sure exactly when they stopped producing it, but probably well into the 1970's.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
z11cam4.jpg Bill.....that is the factory mid 64-65 425HP camshaft for the #583 cylinder heads. It is commonly referred to as the Z-11 camshaft. All the factory built Z-11 cars had a camshaft made by Eonics...a machine shop that worked with Chevrolet at the time. The word "Eonic' was written on the rear cam surface with an electric etching pen. All the over the counter short blocks had the #7735 camshaft.

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
I remember someone...maybe Donny Shafer, told me the original Eonic camshafts had a higher lift than the later over the counter cams. Anyone know for sure?

Wild Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I had heard that they were different also Bill. Do not know in what respect. I'm just going to wait for Pat to reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Phil, I had heard something like that back in the day, but since there were so many different cam manufacturers grinding cams with profiles that out performed that cam, no one really cared. I personally always doubted the 3837735(736 casting)cam was the same, but went with a Crane instead.

It can certainly be checked. Give me a call when you get a min tomorrow.
Pat

poison ivy

Well Known Member
i have about 20 348 and 409 cams,including ,racer brown roller,and many chev solid cams, will pub nums asa i get them. History has a bundle of answers for old guys.