Z-11 Factory/ Dealer information

409Kid

Well Known Member
Dick Thank you for your efforts to produce a comprehensive list. That is most helpful to me and I’m sure others.

Phil. Do you have a contact info for the author. I’d sure like to try and gain a copy. Or possibly does anyone out there have such a copy that I can contact offline?

409Kid

Well Known Member
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Excellent information. Sad to see so many cars unaccounted for. No doubt their pieces having been scattered to the wind.

As an aside: I was too young to follow NASCAR back in the early ‘60s. I know a little about the MKII mystery engines but what about Z-11 engines in NASCAR.

Does any one actually know how many W 427s were ever manufactured. Quantities of over the counter service parts etc. When I talk to Grumpy years ago at the NHRA California Nationals he said Z-11 engine parts were plenty in his region. Maybe because people were trying to sell off their inventories or pieces and he was the go to guy. IDK.

I really would like to know more about these engines, lightweight body pieces, suspensions and brake pieces. I’ve been out of the 409 information flow for too many years and have forgotten more than I can remember. Sucks getting older.

I’m assuming Z-11 owners do frequent this site.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
[IMG alt="Blk61409"]http://www.348-409.com/forum/data/avatars/m/2/2042.jpg?1392069026[/IMG]

Blk61409

Well Known Member​

Supporting Member 8
Yes, please ask more questions.

Odds are they would have been assembly mules of varying body styles to make sure the assembly process worked.

Correct on both engines Don.

Below are Chevrolet internal documents reflecting the the 50 Z-11 complete engines built and 20 short blocks built. The number of heads, etc are unknown.

The Mystery Motor is incredibly small.

I know it was far less than 50, more like 30 plus several sets of heads, etc.

I met a man that was in Daytona when the engines were shipped to Smokey Yunick and Ray Fox.
While Chevrolet claimed 50 to NASCAR those 2 guys would ship engines back and forth between their shops when NASCAR came to count to get to 50. The guy I met said it was 29 engines.

Chevrolet even had a couple of cars pulled out of Dealer inventory and used for the Mystery Motor, Smokey’s black and gold car and Juniors SS car. I believe the red test car was shipped to the Az proving from Mich. not sure exactly but does not matter.

So, given the small number produced in total of both engines, I find it hard to believe that’s what they were doing with those cars.

FCC56963-DAD9-44E3-A277-573BAF5C31FB.jpeg

56A78396-ECC6-4B6B-A0CC-ECDEC3475FCC.jpeg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Been many years since I was on this forum. Curious to know if there has been research done and if an assembled list of known and missing Z-11 cars, their VIN numbers , colors, original dealer and possibly original purchasers was ever done? Where do I find such a list if one exists?
If you get a chance, remember you can go back to the beginning of this section on Z11/Mystery 427, if you haven't already done that. Great information floating around. Also, use that search button in the top right hand corner of the page. Very very useful in finding answers to questions you may have because not always does a good piece of information end up on the Z11 page that should.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hey every one. Thank so very much with the help. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

There was a mention that someone was writing a book on the Z-11s in one of the linked threads. Did that ever get done? If it was, what is the title and where can I get a copy?
Sent you a link. Hope it helps.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
[IMG alt="Dick MacKenzie"]https://www.348-409.com/forum/data/avatars/m/1/1309.jpg?1586004849[/IMG]

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member​

Supporting Member 9
The following is by no means claimed to be totally accurate, many cars status is unknown. In fact I would love input by anyone who may have documented information. For a while I was trying to document as much of this information but some people say they are planning to do a publication documenting the Z11s. My problem is at this point in life I can't wait a whole lot longer and would like to see as much documentation out in the public forum as can be put together but know one wants to talk! LOL. What you see below was initially put together by Rusty and I have modified it as I have come across additional information. Also, I don't know whose car Dennis' parts are taken from.

Z11 cars by State / Dealer

Alabama
Pierson Chevrolet, Gadsden, AL: Jim Weathers - Status unknown
Dement Mollison Chevrolet, Birmingham, AL: Carl Wells - Status unknown

Arizona
Rudolph Chevrolet, Phoenix, AZ: Frank Sanders - Currently restored

California
Cone Chevrolet, Fullerton, CA: Hayden Proffitt - Supposedly wrecked in Texas
Service Chevrolet, Pasadena, CA: Terry Prince - Currently restored
3 Way Chevrolet, Bakersfield, CA: H. L. Shahan - Status unknown
Del Munson Chevrolet, Pixley, CA: Larry “Butch” Leal - Status unknown
Bill Bader Chevrolet, Fontana, CA: Jack Bayer - Reported junked in 1980, but may still exist in Northern CA: parted out.
Ernie Porter Chevrolet, Pasadena, CA: Boyd Porter - Thought to be parted out in the 1980s
Ed Prister Chevrolet, Montrose, CA: Mike Lenke - Status unknown
Bruder Chevrolet, Hollywood, CA: Artis Bowls (Richard Schroeder) - Currently restored, Owned by Don Fezell
Clippinger Chevrolet, Covina, CA: Ron Campbell - Currently restored
Don Steves Chevrolet, La Habra, CA: Tom Shahan
Don Steves Chevrolet, La Habra, CA: Lee Ellis
Don Steves Chevrolet, La Habra, CA: Tom Strum - Junked *

Florida
Jim Rathman Chevrolet, Melbourne, FL: Bob Tucker - Found in Ohio

Georgia
Valley Chevrolet, Atlanta, GA: Don Nicholson - Destroyed in race accident by second owner.
Valley Chevrolet, Atlanta, GA: Huston Platt - Junked – front end still exists.
Valley Chevrolet, Atlanta, GA: Steve Bagwell - Status unknown
Wallace Chevrolet, Albany, GA: Bill Connell - May have been junked. Front end still exists, Don Fezell put it on the green car.

Illinois
Nelson Chevrolet, Libertyville, IL: Bob Delia - Status unknown
Mancuso Chevrolet, Skokie, IL: Burris Hall - Disassembled & put on street with a 283

Indiana
Smith Chevrolet, La Porte, IN: Larry Moody - Status unknown
Zintmaster Chevrolet, Kokomo, IN: - Last seen on a car lot, never titled
Bub Gates Chevrolet, Indianapolis, IN: Jim Johnson - Reportedly still exists. At one time converted to small block race car.

Iowa
Rapids Chevrolet, Cedar Rapids, IA: Vincent Fiala - Status unknown

Kansas
Hattan Chevrolet, Wichita, KS: Bill Clay - Status unknown
Singling Chevrolet, Wichita, KS: Bill Schultz - Reported in restoration, should be completed by now

Kentucky
Broadway Chevrolet, Louisville, KY: John Ward
(Irvine Johns, VV Cook Chev car) - Possibly disassembled

Louisiana
Oliver Chevrolet, Morgan City, LA: Jack Cooley - Status unknown

Maine
Woodward & Austin Chevrolet, Portland, ME: Brian Batchelder - Car is unrestored in Ar. Has front end.

Minnesota
Midway Chevrolet, St. Paul, MN: John Hagen - Parted out in 1972

Michigan
Floyd Floren Chevrolet, Detroit, MI: Chuck Turner - Restored

North Carolina
Adamance Motor CO, Burlington, NC: Sox & Martin - Went to Ohio in 1966, not seen since.
Cobb Motor Co, Goldsboro, NC: John Hollingsworth - - Status unknown
City Chevrolet, Charlotte NC: (Don Eberhart car) - Parted out. Converted to 327 & sold on used car lot. Front end still exists (Hank Gabbard)
H&N Chevrolet, Havelock, NC: Hubert Platt - Junked, burned in field. Front End Still Exists
Stokes Motor Co, King, NC: V.P. Hartgrove - Restored w/ original engine.
Abernathy Chevrolet,Hickory, NC:Clyde Curtis, Wayne Baker - Status unknown, Sold to Richard Bloom in 1963.

New York
Oak Hill Chevrolet,East Chester, NY: Bill Lagana - Restored
Salinas Chevrolet,, Syracuse NY: Don Kimball - Body junked
Glen Campbell Chevrolet,Buffalo NY: Dave, Lee Colbert - Car owned by Pat Lobb, currently in restoration. Dave still races NHRA Super Stock.

New Mexico
Moran’s Gateway Chevrolet, Carlsbad, NM: Dick Harrel - Status unknown

Ohio
Dutch Folk Chevrolet, Akron, OH:Butch PeterS (Joie Chitwood car) - Restored

Pennsylvania
Ammon R. Smith Motor Co, York, PA:Strickler/Jenkins - Currently restored, Owned by Don Fezell

South Carolina
Harter Chevrolet, Camden, SC: Bondy Long – Richard Broom Car - Status unknown

Texas
Friendly Chevrolet, Dallas, TX: Buddy Taylor - Status unknown

Virginia
Watts Chevrolet, Williamsburg, VA: Winston Parker (Jack May Car) - Hank Gabbard restored

Washington D. C.
Hicks Chevrolet, Washington D.C.: Malcolm Durham - Restored, rebodied

Washington
Alan Green Chevrolet,, Burien, WA: Dick Milner - Restored, Don Fezell collection. Dick Milner is active on Facebook in a few racing groups.

Dick MacKenzie

In Memory of Fred Totten
"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bull**** and brilliance only come with age and experience!"
Fred
"Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth!"
For the 409 kid!!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Notice the Kansas cars . One of those cars raced at great bend drag strip as seen and noticed by my cousin with times he was turning. That's yingling Chevrolet dealer name, not singling. Notice one in restoration,other car unknown.

409Kid

Well Known Member
As soon as I can gather all the information I’ll give you updates on the Jack Bayer/ Bader Chevrolet Z-11. I’m amazed at what I’m gathering on this car from all my sources. It’s sad this wasn’t available when the car was still intact. I hope followers can keep the info coming. Even the tiniest of snippets can lead to another and bigger clue

Last edited:

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Notice the Kansas cars . One of those cars raced at great bend drag strip as seen and noticed by my cousin with times he was turning. That's yingling Chevrolet dealer name, not singling. Notice one in restoration,other car unknown.
Don Hatten Chevrolet (Bill Clay Driver/Owner)) silver blue car. Engine still exists body junked.

Yingling Chev (later Quality Chev sponsor), Bill Schultz palomar red car restored.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Don Hatten Chevrolet (Bill Clay Driver/Owner)) silver blue car. Engine still exists body junked.

Yingling Chev (later Quality Chev sponsor), Bill Schultz palomar red car restored.
Where is the Bill Schultz car today,do you know????

409Kid

Well Known Member
Does anyone know who bought the Ron Burch photo collection in CA? I would like to find pics he took of my cars and he might have some of the Bayer car