Z-11 Front End & Interior Question

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That's the thread I remember. I can't find the casting number listed anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Pat

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I remember us talking about those. Ten pounds isn't a lot, but then again.....it all adds up and when you're looking for places to save and still look stock that is a good one.
I wouldn't mind finding one for my old hot rod.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Nope, delete parts we blasted, primered and clear coated to get as close as possible to the dash.

jeffs63SS

The one or two digit number stamped into any year of steel Chevrolet front fender is the calendar week it was made. That's why you will never see a number higher than 52. And that's why it is common on an original pair to see a 50, 51 or 52 on one fender with a 1 to a 4 on the other (one made a the very end of the calendar year, and the other made at the very beginning of the next calendar year).

Hoods, deck lids, inner door frames, rockers, and the quarter panels (on most models) are also stamped with a manufacturing date code.

I would assume that the aluminum Z11 fenders were subject to the same procedures as the steel ones as far as manufacturing stamps. If so, there's your answer!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Jeff, great info. The dates on my 62 aluminum fenders are both 27 which would be the first week of July, 62. That would tie with their efforts to put together all of the "go fast" stuff, ie, preZ-11 heads and intakes, water pump, aluminum sheet metal, etc. in anticipation of wanting to win the 62 Indy Nationals. I've mentioned before, but Hayden told me he received all the engine parts in boxes and about 10 days later all the aluminum front end parts came crated. The protocol to stamp them as they did steel makes sense. I have 2 sets of 63 front ends and will check them. I have been told the hoods had numbers stamped on them as well at the front on the bottom side, but I have yet to locate them.
Thanks for the info. If you have any more specifics would love to hear them.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I envision a new search for 1962 restorations Pat... date coded fenders!

;)

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yeh, but other than the aluminum fenders I have noticed the stampings before, maybe in a different location steel vs. alum. It does make sense. I remember when I worked at a Chevy store in 1963 we received in a shipment of 63 steel fenders for inventory for body shop jobs and everyone was stamped incorrect. Seems the jig slipped and all of the fenders they made that day were wrong. We shipped all back and received a new inventory. With the week production coded somewhere they knew when they were made and what team stamped them out.

What a way to get into someones head on an "all original" car!! "Say, these fenders were made the 15th week of 62 and your trim tag says the car was built the 3rd week of 62". That will stir up some people. Now if we only knew where all the stampings are.

jeffs63SS

... What a way to get into someones head on an "all original" car!! "Say, these fenders were made the 15th week of 62 and your trim tag says the car was built the 3rd week of 62". That will stir up some people.

Yeah, it's a handy cross check! On a regular car with regular fenders they obviously matter a lot less than with a Z11, but the date stamps on the body shell can be used to help identify a car that has been rebodied too. If the quarters or rockers are original to the shell but are dated later than the trim tag date, then that tag did not come on that shell from the factory. The sheet metal dates (along with other evidence) have helped us expose several rebodied 65 Chevelle Z16's in the last few years.