Z-11 parts

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Wall hanger's

Never understood that mentality. Guys paying thousands of dollars for a 1 of 100 chunk of aluminum just to hang it on a wall and never use it again.

Be one thing if you were out beating on this stuff like GM intended, then it might rub off on some young punk kid like I was who became an addict. I still can't believe I have a 409. 10 years ago I never thought I would be able to own one. Three of em fell in my lap over the last decade. Was not looking when I found any of em. I think it's fate. I dunno. But three's my limit. Got plans for all of em, but no more. Any more and I'm just robbing someone else of an opportunity. I damn sure don't have any wall hangers. Just a lot of rubber on the street in front of my house.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Funny looking at all of my engine blocks stacked up together tonight. Looks like a have the biggest collection ever but only 2 of them are really good. The others all need a bunch of work done to them. When they are dirt cheap and in several cases given to me, I just stack them up. Very Very important to tag things. My wife and kids would have no idea where to start if I passed. With tags they know what is junk and what has some value.

Junky

Well Known Member
Never understood that mentality. Guys paying thousands of dollars for a 1 of 100 chunk of aluminum just to hang it on a wall and never use it again.

Be one thing if you were out beating on this stuff like GM intended, then it might rub off on some young punk kid like I was who became an addict. I still can't believe I have a 409. 10 years ago I never thought I would be able to own one. Three of em fell in my lap over the last decade. Was not looking when I found any of em. I think it's fate. I dunno. But three's my limit. Got plans for all of em, but no more. Any more and I'm just robbing someone else of an opportunity. I damn sure don't have any wall hangers. Just a lot of rubber on the street in front of my house.

It is like buying a painting by a famous painter and hanging it on the wall. If you can afford it, then buy it, if it is going to give you pleasure. I know people that hoard car parts, but they haven't looked at what they have in years, but it gives them comfort knowing that they own them. When they pass, the collection gets disbursed to many others, and some of the parts will be used, and others will be scrapped. Personally, I rather see someone get some use out of it, rather than it sitting on a shelf or a wall.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It is like buying a painting by a famous painter and hanging it on the wall. If you can afford it, then buy it, if it is going to give you pleasure. I know people that hoard car parts, but they haven't looked at what they have in years, but it gives them comfort knowing that they own them. When they pass, the collection gets disbursed to many others, and some of the parts will be used, and others will be scrapped. Personally, I rather see someone get some use out of it, rather than it sitting on a shelf or a wall.
Its worse then just some getting used and some getting scrapped. Most of it ends up back on a shelf to gather dust for another 30-40 years. I think of all of the Z11 parts that sold down in Florida Mecum a few years back. How many of those parts are in/on cars and being driven? How many are in an actual museum where everyone is welcome to come look and learn? How many will actually get taken to different events for people to enjoy in person. Some of them but not all will gather dust.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I started buying up this stuff in the 70's and went full steam ahead in the 80's. I have always had good intensions of using it all and bought enough stuff so I wouldn't run out. Back then I could not afford to build everything while kids were growing up and going to school but now its a different story, I realize now I will never be able to build everything I have and been thinking of letting some stuff go. My son likes old cars but not to the extent that I do, I think he likes completed ones more the builders. I have told my wife if anything ever happens to me that everything in this garage and our basement is valuable and to check with my son and friends before she starts throwing things out or having a garage sale.

RussC

Well Known Member
I started buying up this stuff in the 70's and went full steam ahead in the 80's. I have always had good intensions of using it all and bought enough stuff so I wouldn't run out. Back then I could not afford to build everything while kids were growing up and going to school but now its a different story, I realize now I will never be able to build everything I have and been thinking of letting some stuff go. My son likes old cars but not to the extent that I do, I think he likes completed ones more the builders. I have told my wife if anything ever happens to me that everything in this garage and our basement is valuable and to check with my son and friends before she starts throwing things out or having a garage sale.

That's my story...except my wife says she will lock the doors and forget the stuff

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I collect a lot of broken and damaged stuff and try to fix it :). It's a bit like being an archaeologist (kudos to Cecil) you have to have a lot of patience to discover the good stuff. Every now and then something good turns up if you keep looking :).

Four 409s in a truck bed.jpg

Cheers! TomK

409N

Well Known Member
If people would pay what stuff is worth he would sell , too many CHEAP people out there wanting to make buck, Uncle Marv will destroy parts rather than line someone else's wallet .,,,,,,,, they can hang on wall for FREE :)