Z-11 vs BBC

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yes, these were the prototypes Demon and Lamar were working on when my engine was on his Dyno. We put a set on both Lamar's intake and this one the original Z-11 intake. Makes much more HP.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I've heard that those Demon carbs give a finer spray than the Edelbrocks do. I think that's a good thing for our particular engines.
Here's a link to an article about the carbs and a mighty Z11
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/1403_street_demon_carburetor/viewall.html
Yes, this is the article that was written when my engine was on the Dyno. Scroll down to the first photo of the engine on the Dyno. It refers to the problems with getting enough out of the AFB's with this engine. It also references the original Z-11 heads and intake. I got 2 sets for the engine, one with the original intake and jetted for it and one with Lamars intake. You will also notice it's the 509 aluminum block, but I painted it Chevrolet orange on purpose. More on why at a later date.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes, this is the article that was written when my engine was on the Dyno. Scroll down to the first photo of the engine on the Dyno. It refers to the problems with getting enough out of the AFB's with this engine. It also references the original Z-11 heads and intake. I got 2 sets for the engine, one with the original intake and jetted for it and one with Lamars intake. You will also notice it's the 509 aluminum block, but I painted it Chevrolet orange on purpose. More on why at a later date.
I gather that was the engine that made 755 hp. :beer That's a lot of power. :beer

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Yes and while many might think it was crazy to use a new 509 aluminum block with 63 Z-11 cast iron heads that was exactly what I wanted to do. What we learned was 755hp using the Z-11 heads and a Lamar intake, put the Z-11 intake back on the same engine made about(will get the Dyno sheets and post later) 100 HP less.

Keep in mind this is with the original top end with the new Demon carbs. As we have always known "no substitute for cubic inches" I wanted to see how far we could push the old stuff with a big better designed block, etc. We have the same valve configuration, no matter how big the valves are its close to what we could have or even did in the 60's.

The 755hp also produced 618 ft lbs of torque.

All in all we have learned that the old stuff really did work over 50 years ago and still has the capability of producing some serious HP today. One problem we had was the fear of collapsing the cylinder head because of the compression ratios and the fact that I have no idea what these heads had been through before, certainly were not bench warmers.

Anyway, I hope this has been of interest. I will post a few photos.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Actually the headers for the car are 2" Jardines. Currently being coated. Those in the photos are Lamar's he uses on the Dyno.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Which 2" Jardines? The 4 into 1 Fenderwells or one of his large tube tri-y's? I'm planning on the fenderwell headers myself.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Lamar uses Hooker's on the dyno generally, though he does have a set of much longer fenderwell headers with a bigger primary tube he made back in the Pro Nostalgia days he will use from time to time. He used those on Gary Jespersen's engine. These dyno headers on Pat's engine are Hooker Super Comp's.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
View attachment 25311 View attachment 25312 View attachment 25310 Yes and while many might think it was crazy to use a new 509 aluminum block with 63 Z-11 cast iron heads that was exactly what I wanted to do. What we learned was 755hp using the Z-11 heads and a Lamar intake, put the Z-11 intake back on the same engine made about(will get the Dyno sheets and post later) 100 HP less.

Keep in mind this is with the original top end with the new Demon carbs. As we have always known "no substitute for cubic inches" I wanted to see how far we could push the old stuff with a big better designed block, etc. We have the same valve configuration, no matter how big the valves are its close to what we could have or even did in the 60's.

The 755hp also produced 618 ft lbs of torque.

All in all we have learned that the old stuff really did work over 50 years ago and still has the capability of producing some serious HP today. One problem we had was the fear of collapsing the cylinder head because of the compression ratios and the fact that I have no idea what these heads had been through before, certainly were not bench warmers.

Anyway, I hope this has been of interest. I will post a few photos.

So this IS 509 inches? What is the compression? Heads "stock"? Not to shabby getting 755 out of 509 inches and the old heads.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Actually, 481 inch World block, they just refer to it as 509 because of the "409", its 4.375 bore and 4.0 stroke.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pat, was that 755 hp with a set of 1 7/8" Hookers? As asked above, will you be using Jardine 2" Tri-y or 4 into 1? Awesome set up:beer

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but as I was reading a Doug Marion article that Phil posted a few minutes ago I got to wondering:
I can't remember seeing flow numbers for stock (not CRW) unported Z11 heads. Come to think of it, not for ported stock z11 heads either.
I tried searching and came across the recent Mystery Motor numbers we all talked about recently and this cool thread too. Still no numbers though. Just curious if any one can post them up.