Z11 oil pans

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Can someone enlighten me again on the specifics of the Z11 oil pans. I used to know but have forgotten. Were they a fabricated pan at chevy. When i get the answer i have a story to tell about one.:facepalm

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Evan! I guess there would not have been a part # anywere. What prompted this question is when i got the Royal brothers car Coke had told me that it had a Z11 oil pan on it which it was obvious when you looked under the car. Ok so eventually when i pulled the motor i took it of and put it on the shelf. 12 or 15 years ago a good friend Ronnie Young of Performax Trailers asked if i had an oil pan he could buy so i looked at that pan and saw where it had been welded and assumed it was a pan that Hardy had made up for Coke. So i gave him that pan knowing it wasn’t going to be put on any of my motors because of ground clearance. I know he shortened the pan to go in his 60 Elky. Weather it was or not its history now! Later on Coke also told me it had an aluminum water pump on it that he had painted red and sure nuff it did. My grandffather Phil Reed :cool: wound up with the pump.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I can say this with utmost certainty that the Z-11 pan had a part # ... I had a new one in the box 40 years ago that i had bought from a closed dealership auction .. What that part # is i have no idea ... i held on to it for a few years and ended up trading it to Lamar for a Cam , lifters and springs for my 1st stroker mtr ... BTW: still have the CAM !!! :):):)

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a guy on ebay that had a nos 1 with gm box for awhile along with other z parts and believe he still has the Z11 balancer on there now. Believe pan sold though

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Z-11 pan did have it's own part number. I think I still have an old parts book. They cut the sump off another pan or just stamped out the bottom part. It was leaded on, just like they did quarter panels. I know because a friend tried to braze mine and the lead came bubbling out. I've since put a rod through it so it's not pretty anymore.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The oil pan is not in the box as Phil stated, however the part number is 3816322, the one with the deep welded on bottom.

remember when I took it out of the box in the 60's how crude it looked. I think I even filled it with water to see if it was going to leak.

It did not, but a couple of months later the block leaked from that big hole in the side. :laugh:roll

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Let me think…..a valve “kissed” a piston, which started the internal carnage :D.

As I recall when I lifted a head off, stuff began to jump on the ground!!

Tore the top out of a couple of pistons, bent rods, block trashed, etc.

I remember it like it was yesterday, I thought the “miss” in the engine was it loading up, soooo, I “cleared” it out:bang

I believed could have chromed everything under that hood and had the finest looking pile of broken parts:roll