Z11 on Craigslist

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I found an ad on Craigslist yesterday for a Z11 block for sale. I had a couple of discussions with the guy. It was an 814 block and he said it was definately a Z11. He didn't know about suffix codes, so I explained where they were and told him he would have to scrape all the paint, rust etc off the block to find it.

He had bought the Z11 car brand new, even told me the name of the dealer he bought it from. Yes it had the aluminum front end, two piece intake etc. He had taken the car to the salt flats....... he doesn't remember how fast he was going but he lost a front tire...... the car was totalled. After a long stay in the hostpital he got drafted and went to Viet Nam. The only thing worth saving out of the Z11 car was the motor and transmission and it went to his Dad's barn.

I asked him about the rest of the engine parts, heads, intake etc....... His response was that his $hit head brother had sold the stuff when he was in Nam. When he got home all that was left was the block. He has been storing the block ever since and finally decided to sell it..........

He is a great guy and I had a couple of good conversations with him...... he thanked me for explaining the suffix codes and how they worked..... him and his wife did find it........ but he has a QA block ???? He wasn't surprised that his brother switched blocks on him........ He said he hasn't seen him for 25 years and even before finding out about the block switch he has good reason to shoot the SOB if he ever sees him again.

There will be a new ad on Craigslist for a QA block in Tucson soon....... it needs a sleeve but the seller is a great guy so if anyone needs an 814 watch for the ad..... and he is open to offers.

Dave

No409

Supporting Member 1
isnt QM the only suffix for a z-11?

my buddy just got a QA block, cracked, im tryin to nab as a spare race block

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes, the QM is the Z11..... but that's what I said, his brother switched blocks on him.... he now has a QA.

Dave