Zinc Additives

chuckl

Well Known Member
I used Comp Cam Zinc additives for my 348 stroker break in and am running the same in the 2nd Rotella oil change. Just happened to stop in at several well-known auto parts stores, to check well-known brands for Zinc additives. I was stunned that the additives' info sheet states: CONTAINS NO ZINC. What is the additive that is substituted for Zinc? Does it work? Same protection during break in? Inquiring minds would like to know!

:read:read

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Phosphorus is also an additive, along with other stuff. Sorry, that's all I can ad.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, Royal Purple all suitable for solid cams. I confirmed with RP that HPS 10w40 has greater than 1200 ppm of zinc.

Quik9r

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have Lucas 10w30 for my blower motor and when I called them I believe they said their hot rod oil had 2000-2200 ppm of zinc.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
There are several oils, dino and synthetics, that contain various zinc/phosporus levels in several viscosities. Also a couple of well known additives are out there to add to the new non zinc spec oils. So... What do you do with our flat tappet engines?
Do your research as there is a risk with the additives, and issues for some of us by using synthetic oils and others have issues with dino oils. If using zinc oils what weight do you use and what formula additives do you want in the oils. Whew no clear answer. All I can tell you is what I am using but that doesn't apply to all of us. My 62 is only driven about 4 miles a year and that is from the trailer to the show field and NOT allowing any warming to mess up exhaust and head paints. I also use "hot" AC plugs to keep the racing gas from fouling plugs too badly. Oh I am using 10-30 dino zinc oil from a major manufacturer with the usually recommended amount of zinc and phosphorus. I am currently using 20-50 dino zinc oil in the 61.
Robert
Gonna see allot of comments on this one as once again Bob's comment is spot on.

Licensed to kill

Well Known Member
Nothing replaces zinc in the oil for a flat tappet cam, I use GM EOS additive. Rotella used to have zinc, don't think it does any more, it screws up cats and likely the urea systems in diesels too.
They took the zinc out of Rotella about 6-7 years ago IIRC. I also use GM EOS. It is actually recommended by ISKY for break in with their flat tappet cams. It should be used in every oil change, not just for break in.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
When I rebuilt the 482 in Big Red in 2003, I put a hydraulic flat tappet back in it. I got some "special" Pennzoil break-in oil from work (DEI) since we were sponsored by them. I ran that with a bottle of EOS on the dyno and the first 1,000 miles or so. Ever since then, we've ran Rotella 15W40 with a bottle of HyperLube from O'Reilly's. We've put a lot of miles on her and never had a problem. There's a lot of debate on the zinc additives and zinc or ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl DithioPhosphate) enriched oils on many of the engine forums on the internet. If you look on the STP bottles now, it claims to have ZDDP in it. So there are options out there for us flat tappet players!

Jeremy

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My machinist just recently found something interesting with zinc oil additives. When he would tear down a motor that has used an additive, there is a layer of black sludge on the bottom of the oil pan. What is it? We assume additive that has settled or fallen out of suspension. My buddy's motor that had the balancer grenade had lots of it. He uses an additive every oil change, and changes every 1500 miles or so. Now when I add an additive, I do it with the engine running, and let it run for a while to mix everything. I use the Lucas brand, as it is locally available. Your results may vary.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
STP has always had the ZDDP in it. The give-a-way is the label that says caution: eye irritant.

I too, use the lucas additive and the newest 5w-20 synthetic on the market